TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Winter Projects?
DerrickfromNC1 Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:59 am

Assuming you take your bus off the road during the winter months what projects or upgrades do you have planned?

For my wife's bus I plan to:
* upgrade to 944 rear discs to match the fronts...I have all the parts
* new wire harness...too many loose wires dangling that connect to nothing as well as a lot of cutting and pliceing done by previous owner
* install a rebuilt or new steering box...way too much play
* cut down & install a 3/4" swaybar to match the 4" narrow beam
* attempt to bring back the shine to the original paint
* begin collecting components for a 1776 or tw1835 bus duty engine...I have no history on the current 1600

G-wood Todd Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:07 pm

Curently the 21 window is without a motor so I hope to finish one for it. I would also like to adjust the altitude on the suspension. What I will probably do is procrastinate another season on one or both of these goals. I will be in a heated garage this winter so there should be no excuses.

Touch Nicks Thing Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:08 pm

It's August 11th dude, you still have 3 months to enjoy your bus, forget winter.

eddiemoney Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:13 pm

or move to Florida. we get like 1 day of Winter here :twisted:

aa390392 Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:18 pm

I day of winter in Florida...364 days of Africa hot the rest of the time..no thank you :lol:

SkooobaSteve Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:55 pm

What is this winter you speak of? Alabama dont get those there seasons. No joke maybe 2-3 months of cold, and snow is a rare thing that normally shuts down the town out of fear of white death from above.

marklaken Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:01 pm

My '67 westy project has finally made it's way back to my front burner. Goal to redo my respray this fall and reassemble thru the winter. Progress basically stopped in fall of 2007 - I'll need to update my old thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8...highlight=

Jung Restoration Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:58 pm

My project is to drink beer and burn wood.

crukab Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:43 pm

Jung Restoration wrote: My project is to drink beer and burn wood.
Ok I've got the Wood part..........

Now, if I can just find some beer...... :?

dmuis Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:25 pm

Wow! Lotsa wood! The singlecab help with that? You'll probably have to take a trip to Canada for beer though.... :wink:

crukab wrote: Jung Restoration wrote: My project is to drink beer and burn wood.
Ok I've got the Wood part..........

Now, if I can just find some beer...... :?

joe56vw Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:36 pm

i'm still trying to get to last winters project :roll:

pondoras box Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:50 am

After a winter like last year, I cant believe you guys from the north are even willing to discuss it!

I didn't get any of my goals met last winter, it was too damn cold! -14 degrees in an unheated non-insulated garage, wasn't happening. When it did warm up to above freezing it was spent trying to get the salt off of the daily drivers to try to protect them.

My goal this summer is to be able to drive my bus under its own power around my neighborhood, so my winter goals are to finish what I don't get done this summer to make it drivable and get some rust repairs done.

Schwing Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:05 am

pondoras box wrote: After a winter like last year, I cant believe you guys from the north are even willing to discuss it!

I agree its way too soon to be planning winter unless of course you are shopping for a heater, because now is the time to snatch up the deals on craigs list.
My winter is just like my summer, weld as much shit on my single cab as possible. And drink beer.

ChristianJS Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:49 am

The beer and wood idea is a good one, but I need to get some projects done as well. VW related, I need to put my 64 bus back together, as it was sprayed this summer. I need to do a full camping interior on my 65, rebuild the motor in my 67 bug. Also need to get around to the bodywork on my 86 suburban, and do some front end and a/c work on my 76 bmw. For projects sake, I hope its a long new England winter. For my sanity's sake, I hope winter passes us right by.

pyrOman Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:48 am

Winter projects? :?

My projects know no season! They're on all the time. :|