TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: winterizing a bug
66606 Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:05 am

I've got the option to go camping in the Austrian alps in the middle of winter, and was wondering just what I should do to my stock 1600tp engine so it can cope with the extreme cold I'll face at altitude. oil for example, what grade oil should I go to for temps getting on for - 20 °C, how to protect oil lines/fuel lines, basically anything you can think of.

KTPhil Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:05 am

Check/replace all rubber fuel and brake lines. The added cold can make them even more brittle. Use a fuel additive. Check the owners manual here on the Samba for oil recommendations. Use an anti-freeze additive in your windshield reservoir. Bring a can of starter fluid. Check your tires for wear and cracking. Don't use your handbrake. Put glycerin or baby powder on all door rubbers. Change all fluids, especially including brake fluid. Check your tranny boots. Lube everything including cables. Stash a 1 square foot piece of 3/4" plywood to use under your jack in the snow. Pack blankets, shovel, scraper, gloves, cap, groundcloth, signal flares, sterno, candles, gorp or granola bars.

vwracerdave Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Use synthetic gear oil in the transaxle.

c21darrel Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Your gonna need ski racks 8)

my59 Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:10 pm

Go over the heating system with a fine tooth comb and seal leaks
Lube the exterior locks and key slots.
Keep a scraper handy to get the frost of the inside of the windscreen
Warm hat.
Wool socks.
Wool mittens.
A real -20F degree sleeping bag.

Brian Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:46 pm

Jacks Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:01 am

The Fluid in a weak battery can freeze.

drscope Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:44 am

The above suggestions are good, but the car with an owner's manual that gave you all the details on what should be done. There are copies of most of them available on this site. You may want to browse through and just make sure something hasn't been overlooked.