TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Am i too old if its too low? Page: 1, 2  Next
DeadMike Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:51 am

Recently ive come to the conclusion our 60'sish beetle, which is infact airbagged so that ...........without air front,beam is firmly planted in asphalt......rears crankcase pulling the same stance.........NOW heres the problem
my lovely wife of some 22 years, this car is her daily driver and it turns out good ol'DeadMike isnt completly dead on'a'count new edition last year, ITS A GIRL!!!!
now im getting to the point now all the effort i put into getting this frakenbeetle lower than the average bug......IM REVERSING?? YEP FELLAS LAST WEEKEND I PUT A SET OF STOCK SPINDLES ....moved the tanks,compressors,valve bodies...even cut the switches off
(Its all keychain remote now) ........and i do all this because the thought of my wife and baby being stranded due to my air riden nonsence...... gentlemen that is the stuff of nightmares so .......it now sits a nice even 2 1/2 3" from pavment switched to remote as advised by local chp.....(in order to be child seat certified),added rfid door & ignition recognition so now wasted key fumbling......

So am i old?

!

grandpa pete Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:54 am

:D ..welcome to the club. :D ....really noticed body slowing down last year ; still ok for 63 :roll:

Cusser Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:53 pm

As noted philosopher Gilligan asked: is it getting heavier, or am I getting older?

And the response was: Gilligan - you are getting older so it IS getting heavier !

Bob Loblaw Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:11 pm

Cusser wrote: As noted philosopher Gilligan asked: is it getting heavier, or am I getting older?

And the response was: Gilligan - you are getting older so it IS getting heavier !
And then he got slapped in the head with the Captains' hat.

eyetzr Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:22 pm

I thought if it was to loud you are to old. I thought the lowering was to ease getting in. :roll:

KTPhil Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:32 pm

Have you told anyone to get off your lawn lately?

jhoefer Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:05 pm

eyetzr wrote: I thought if it was to loud you are to old. I thought the lowering was to ease getting in. :roll:

Getting in's easy. Getting back out's the challenge.

Helfen Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:48 pm

I believe the saying goes " having grown a bit older and a bit wiser "

grandpa pete Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:13 pm

......Correction " having grown a bit older and a bit wider "

Jon Schmid Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Or, as I remember (?) from my youth: "We grow too soon old und too late schmart."

pb_foots Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:13 pm

yes, you're old. Enjoy it!

When my wife got pregnant I sold my Miata, took down the pics of Harleys and started saving for college. Never been happier.

it's the jackasses who don't put their wife and kids ahead of their stupid toys that make me puke. You're doing just fine.

drscope Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:43 pm

DeadMike wrote:
it turns out good ol'DeadMike isnt completly dead on'a'count new edition last year, ITS A GIRL!!!!

Are you sure somebody else didn't have it in for you?

jjohnson67 Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Miata really? Rear wheel drive and what? You are old. Wear crocs too? Lol!

bdub475 Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:48 am

Miata really? Rear wheel drive and what? You are old. Wear crocs too? Lol![/quote]

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to be an a-hole and comment on the Miata.

Congrats on the baby. Myself, I don't even feel all that comfortable with my 2 yo daughter in my beetle. In fact when my daughter was born the wife had a scion tc and I wouldn't let her drive it with my baby girl in it. I made her drive my silverado until we traded the scion in on a much safer suv two weeks later.
I can't imagine having to get a baby in and out of the back seat of a beetle all the time. I know my wife wouldn't do it.

carcrazed Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:11 am

Been there...done that. I had my bug and other classic cars before I met my wife and had kids. You never get the motor oil out of your veins, but the priorities sure do change. I managed to hang on to mine and instead of tinkering for hours, days and weeks at a time, I am happy to head out to the garage for an hour every few days after my kids go to bed. Yes...you are getting old like the rest of us, just wiser and different priorities.

pb_foots Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:28 am

jjohnson67 wrote: Miata really? Rear wheel drive and what? You are old. Wear crocs too? Lol!

I stopped caring what anyone thinks a long time ago pal, I drive a baby blue VW. besides, if you haven't driven a Miata on a really twisty road, you don't know what you're missing.

I didn't get rid of the Impala SS, just the car that doesn't have room for a baby seat.

carcrazed Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:34 am

Ok..people will kill me, but I love that Impala. I own a '79 Caprice and have had it since my parents bought it when I was 8 years old. Check out the story on my Classic Garage it was featured in:
http://myclassicgarage.com/social/posts/6856-1979-...dium=email

I like them all as I own 2 bugs PLUS a Chevy, a few Fords, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, Saturn, Honda and a Cadillac. It all boils down to enjoying the classic car hobby and that is why we are here, no matter what your preferences.

pb_foots Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:50 am

That's a cool story.

I'm mostly an American car guy except for the VW sickness I inherited from my father, but the little Barbie car was so much fun to drive my wife and I had to get it. Enjoyed the hell out of that car, but that 5K was the seed money for my son's 529 account. I'm gonna guilt trip the hell out of him if he doesn't become an astrophysicist :)

TMI Products Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:25 am

KTPhil wrote: Have you told anyone to get off your lawn lately? crap, I do that now :shock:

And I HATE the neighbors coming home with music blaring(even though I have a 6000 watt stereo in my truck and did car audio for 15 years) :roll:

ThingBeast Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:50 am

I still wear crocs and proud of it! I have to admit they are the most comfortable shoes ever! I love that Impala too, but still a VW guy at heart.