TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sending unit gasket
albinogek Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Hello everyone! I am wanting to replace the gasket on the gas tank sending unit & am wondering if anyone has any pics on how to do so. It seems pretty easy but would feel better if I had some guidance...you know...measure twice, cut once. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

glutamodo Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:18 am

The base gasket? I'd just buy a new rubber seal instead of trying to make one.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113919133

albinogek Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:21 am

Yes, I already bought one of those, just wanting to know if it is easy to install...it seems to be. Just want to know if there is anything else to it...appreciate ur response.

Todd66 Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:57 am

Just remove the 5 screws and pull unit out. Just be slightly careful not to bend arm when doing so.(It is not fragile, but some people can bend/break just about anything) Install new gasket and re-install sender. NO big deal

hitest Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:39 am

I can't believe this wasn't mentioned already- Just be aware of the 5 screw- star pattern alignment! Two of the holes are closer together. Many folks have damaged their new gasket, threads and screws by not paying attention (you can tell by looking at the remains of the old one to know if it's been correctly installed).

albinogek Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:54 am

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for...Thanks everyone! !

grandpa pete Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:57 am

:D feel the Samba love :D

glutamodo Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:25 pm

albinogek wrote: Yes, I already bought one of those, just wanting to know if it is easy to install...it seems to be. Just want to know if there is anything else to it...appreciate ur response.

Ah, cool, sounded like you wanted to make your own. I did that once, not really worth the effort when decent quality new ones are available.

Yes, as stated, make sure you get the bolt pattern lined up correctly.

Also wouldn't try it on a full tank of fuel.

-Andy