TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Custom window question
Siccntwysted Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:17 pm

Has anyone ever tried to stain glass design a back window? will it hold up? Thinking about german eagle stain glass for back window?other than maybe not your taste..strength wise would it work if it was 1/4 glass? :?: :shock:

grandpa pete Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:35 pm

If you are talking about real stained glass with lead in between the pieces ;

I remember years ago ; A hot rod model A with the small rear window stained glass ...He had thin plexi on BOTH sides of the glass

drscope Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:58 pm

If you stop by your local arts and crafts store like Hobby Lobby or Micheal's if you have them in your area, you will find all sorts of glass paints.

There are some pretty good spray paints for glass available as well as simulated liquid leading to do the lead lines.

So it would be possible to paint and lead your designs right onto your stock glass and have it look like real a real stained glass piece of art.

However, you may want to make sure before you do this that you aren't going to get hassled by johnny law. They used to give us trouble for having decals on the back window. I can't imagine what their response to something like this would be.

Siccntwysted Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:33 pm

most of the time as long as I have side mirrors its fine

drscope Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:37 am

Siccntwysted wrote: most of the time as long as I have side mirrors its fine

You're missing the point. If you live someplace where they can hassle you over a rear window that has obstructed visibility they will. Doesn't matter if you have mirrors or not.

In my state it depends on the registration. If I have regular use tags on the car it is subject to getting safety equipment repair orders (inspection tickets). You get ticketed, then have to correct the violation and have the car inspected by a state inspector and send the ticket and proof of insurance to the DMV. BIG pain in the neck!

Historic/Antique plates give relief from that, but they also mandate limited use on the vehicle.

So before you go through this, you may want to look into what sort of headaches like that this may bring your way. I remember a few times standing in the flash of the red and blues scraping cool decals off the rear window in order to avoid a ticket. you won;t be able to do that with a stained glass window.

Siccntwysted Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:57 am

in california you can spray paint the back window black if you wanted as long as you have side mirrors and the driver side and passenger front windows are un altered its legal in Cali

hitest Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:12 pm

In the late 80s, a friend had an artist airbrush a beautiful wave scene on the back window of his '69 bug. The challenge was weather resistance and adherence to the glass. If I were in your shoes- I'd work with a spare window so that it can be swapped back out the moment it starts losing it's pizazz. Sounds like a neat idea for the window- I just haven't done it to attest to it's durability.