TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Torque for castle nuts on tie rod ends Page: 1, 2  Next
bugzy'65 Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:01 pm

hello guys , i need a little help with a thing or two!!
The 2 Castle Nuts on the tie rod ends Are they needed to be just tightened alone or do they need Some washers inbetween them and a cottorPin or two to Lock them Up?? :/ for now ive just tightened it also what TORQUe does it acquire ?
Pictures given

WANTED : MAster cylinder Grommet ( It leaks )

bugzy'65 Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:03 pm

57BLITZ Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:03 pm

NO washers there!
Install the nuts, torque them, then tighten them SLIGHTLY (if necessary) to install the Cotter pins.

grandpa pete Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:06 pm

What is a " master cylinder grommet

bugzy'65 Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:27 pm

This rubber piece :) its leaking brake oil so?

grandpa pete Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:31 pm

OH.....ok...I just took out a 66 single circuit master that has that part on it ....find out if it fits and pm me and i'll send it to you for several good carma points

wcfvw69 Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:34 pm

bugzy'65 wrote:

This rubber piece :) its leaking brake oil so?

Or.. Just go to Ace Hardware and find them in the nut and bolt section. Measure the hole before going and get a few different sizes to be sure.

grandpa pete Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Wcfvw69 that " grommet " has a very distinctive shape where it fits into the master . I don't think you will find one at ACE

grandpa pete Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:59 pm

Well so much for my good carma points ............I just went out into the garage to take the " grommet " out of the 66 master in order to show how it was shaped and it tore off the top and left the rest inside.... :cry:

Do I get points for good intencions ?? :roll:

drscope Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:01 pm

FORGET going to ACE for the rubber brake master cylinder plug! This is NOT a standard grommet!

The brake pipe going into that plug has a flair on it. The plug has a groove for that flair to fit into and it holds the pipe in place.

If you use a standard grommet there is nothing except luck to keep the brake pipe in the grommet. Unfortunately you only learn that the pipe has fallen out when the brake pedal goes to the floor.

If you can't do the deal with Grandpa Pete, Wolfsburg West has what you need.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113611817

The cotter pins are EXTREMELY important on your tie rod ends! Because there is so much movement there, the nuts would back off and become loose if you didn't have the pins in. If one of them was to fall off, you would suddenly have no way to steer.

And if you used a hardware store grommet on your master cylinder, when the steering failed and you stepped on the brakes and the pedal went to the floor.... well you get the picture. These are two very important items. Do them RIGHT!

drscope Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:06 pm

There is one other issue I forgot to mention on that master cylinder plug.

What we often refer to as "rubber" can be made up in many, many different ways. There are lots of different recipes for making what we refer to as rubber. And each of those recipes have a different purpose and withstand different conditions.

Some rubbers hold up to certain chemicals better then others.

Old British cars used a good bit of natural rubber in their brake parts. And most brake fluids that we use here in the U.S. would actually melt those rubber brake system parts in old British Cars. So there was only one brake fluid that worked in those cars. It had to be LMA brake fluid.

The point is that when you walk into the hardware store and buy a rubber plug designed to hold water, it might not last very long sitting in brake fluid.

It's your brakes and they are sometimes important. So get the right part and sleep better at night knowing it's in there.

67 Sunroof Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:37 pm

We'll said again, dr!!
Your posts are soo informative! Wish we were closer so I could hand with ya!!
I sure would learn a lot

wcfvw69 Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:50 am

drscope wrote: FORGET going to ACE for the rubber brake master cylinder plug! This is NOT a standard grommet!

We all know it's not a standard grommet. My suggestion was to go to Ace and get a grommet to use until he secured the correct one as it would be better than nothing.

drscope Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:58 am

wcfvw69 wrote: drscope wrote: FORGET going to ACE for the rubber brake master cylinder plug! This is NOT a standard grommet!

We all know it's not a standard grommet. My suggestion was to go to Ace and get a grommet to use until he secured the correct one as it would be better than nothing.

I understand, but sometimes "better then nothing" actually turns out to be worse then nothing!

The biggest issue is that probably 99% of the time a temporary fix ends up lasting way too long. And in this case it's not worth messing with an incorrect plug or grommet. There's too much at stake on the other end of that brake pedal.

bugzy'65 Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:55 pm

All locked up and set :) thanks Guys

bugzy'65 Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:56 pm

About the Rubber thing , I dont live in the us neither uk so ill have to get these shipped ! DOes anyone Know about POSTAL charges on little things like these rubbers etc??

Harleyelf Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Depending on where you live, customs fees and import duties might be way more than postage. A gift of a used one might be the way to go.

56Cabrio Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:36 pm

bugzy'65 wrote: About the Rubber thing , I dont live in the us neither uk so ill have to get these shipped ! DOes anyone Know about POSTAL charges on little things like these rubbers etc??

E-mail or call WW for shipping quote.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113611817

bugzy'65 Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Thank you everyone ! I will contact them

bugzy'65 Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Harleyelf wrote: Depending on where you live, customs fees and import duties might be way more than postage. A gift of a used one might be the way to go.

Yes i know , where will i find a used one and i need a new one because rubber parts should be new as old ones will have little life remaining and cannot be Trusted :/