TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Power Port options
djkeev Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:53 pm

I've got my 86 Weekender pretty much gutted, no interior to speak of, open wall panels, no carpet or seats at all.

Before reassembly I want to run wires and install power ports for outpr 21st century electonics. In particular 2 amp USB for charging phones and tablets.

I've recently read that the USB protocol is on the verge of major change! Mimicking the Apple Lightning concept.

I'm thinking of just good old fashioned lighter outlets into which I can plug whatever the future brings via an adapter.

What about location?

What have you found the best spots for charging a phone or tablet?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Dave

16CVs Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:48 pm

I agree that Electronics are in a state of Flux, but it will take the market a while to adjust ,so install them where you need to and then just change it out when needed ,just as the USB's go into the Power point holes I would guess that anything new would use the same hole and wiring .
I have been installing those dual USB's in my cars and customers cars and are so much nicer then using an adapter I have no regret.
In fact I get into trouble when I go in someone else's car with only a cord and no Power point to USB adapter .
So drill away and enjoy them .

Stacy

furrylittleotter Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:51 pm

I agree that cigarette lighters are far more versatile. I usually use a flush mount USB plug with two plugs, they look clean and like you said, if the future bring something new, I can just plug it in.

Neil2

IdahoDoug Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:55 pm

For locations:

Center dash - perhaps replace ash tray with shelf to hold phones, GPS, etc and power ports integrated.

Wall edge of folding table in your weekender so that sitting at the table when it is up, you can have several phones being charged sitting at the back of the table.

Floor of rear hatch for charging things you either need while you sleep, or things you'd need to access with the rear hatch hopen.

Finally, atop the battery box where items being charged can be reached quickly from outside the van. Things like musical speaker systems, a DC powered cooler, etc would live right at the open slider hatch.

Alex Proulx Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:12 am

As far as location mine is behind the driver seat, screwed directly in the cabinet. Easy to install and short wire from aux battery. It's ideal to power the fridge. When we charge devices, we leave them on top of the stove, nice flat surface and no long wire runs. My only regret is to have install a single unit only, especially since we got the fridge. I have to chose between cold beers or charged phone, beer wins everytime. Will install another one soon.
Alex

djkeev Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:44 am

16CV's wrote: I agree that Electronics are in a state of Flux, but it will take the market a while to adjust ,so install them where you need to and then just change it out when needed ,just as the USB's go into the Power point holes I would guess that anything new would use the same hole and wiring .
I have been installing those dual USB's in my cars and customers cars and are so much nicer then using an adapter I have no regret.
In fact I get into trouble when I go in someone else's car with only a cord and no Power point to USB adapter .
So drill away and enjoy them .

Stacy

While I agree that one can easily update, it really is NOT that easy at all. To pull an interior panel requires the removal of the entire interior, seats, table, even the floor itself!

I think I'll run lighter outlets with adapters, as mentioned always easy to plug in the latest USB or what have you that next year will bring!

The location advice is great! Never thought of back by the rear hatch but it makes sense.
Come to think of it I've got a newly available washer bottle hole in the Right Rear (eliminated it due to the rust it caused me above the RR wheel) that is just screaming for a recessed power port location! Hmmmmmm......
I'm thinking I'll put a small fuse panel in the void under the seat just forward of the battery box. I will then pull all of my new power points from that fuse panel.

I will also replace that "odd" German power port on the aisle side of the Passenger seat for the Weekender factory cooler with a lighter as well.

Dave

eeebee Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:35 pm

djkeev wrote: While I agree that one can easily update, it really is NOT that easy at all. To pull an interior panel requires the removal of the entire interior, seats, table, even the floor itself!Dave

Tempted to rig-up some kind of structured cabling for future use? Audio, video, data etc.

Tobias Duncan Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:42 pm

eeebee wrote: djkeev wrote: While I agree that one can easily update, it really is NOT that easy at all. To pull an interior panel requires the removal of the entire interior, seats, table, even the floor itself!Dave

Tempted to rig-up some kind of structured cabling for future use? Audio, video, data etc.

Surely you won't have to run all new wires right?
Just make sure you use outlets you can access from the front even if you have to do some fabrication. Something with a removable faceplate.

djkeev Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Making the sockets front removable is certainly a major plus.

Making a plate like this utilizing basic auto lighter parts should be an absolute snap! I'd probably opt for brushed stainless steel instead of plastic though.
Don't need the cable TV connection either.

Use a low voltage remodel style wall box for mounting and all will be well.

A double box like this would be ideal for where the washer bottle is currently located. Recessed into the wall so that the plugs don't protrude into the sleeping area.........
http://www.cepro.com/ai/product/tvbu505_multiple_gang_tv_box

Dave

outwesty Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:59 pm

I really like these. I have one mounted inside the end of the galley above the sink so I can charge a phone and run a 12v fan in the bunk. These are not your typical cheap thin plastic garbage. They are very thick and you could even stand on it without breaking it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Accessory-Marine-Car-B...2a3a92666a