TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Differences between a 58' and a 61?
I Ride Dirt Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:45 pm

I have a chance to purchase a 61' that is pretty rough, but not too far gone. Or, I can purchase a 58', but it needs almost the same amount of work.

What are the differences between the two?

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:27 am

3 years.... :wink:

Lots of good information is already available on this site.. be sure to search and look around.

sixfootdan Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:36 am

This is a good link.

http://www.vw-resource.com/years.html

I Ride Dirt Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:47 am

So, if you had to choose between the two, which would you choose?

sixfootdan Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:52 am

Are you looking at buying one? Which is in better condition? Your posts are pretty vague.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:59 am

Shinine7 wrote: So, if you had to choose between the two, which would you choose?

58 has some "oval" era features, (fuel tank, door handles etc..)
61 has more refinements..

Either are good years.. buy them both.. you're gonna need the parts...
Use what you need.. sell off the rest..

If both were in the same condition....I'd have a hard time choosing based on years alone.

I like 1950's cars... so...... based on year.. Id go with the 58.. .. but the 61 has better stock features...

Pick your poison... If you can only buy one...the one with the least amount of rust in the body structure should be the one..

Helfen Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:39 pm

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: 3 years.... :wink:

Lots of good information is already available on this site.. be sure to search and look around.

This pamphlet above only refers to the deluxe U.S. export car. The standard model varies very little from 58 to 61, even has the same engine...the old tried and true 36hp which will stay with the model to August of 1965.

stale air Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:40 pm

Yeah, if possible, post up some pics of both cars. I personally own both years, but it really would depend on originality and condition, if I had to pick.

hitest Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:53 pm

I personally think either year is great- but it depends a lot on how you intend to drive it. The 36hp engine in the '58 requires a bit more mechanical savvy than the bulletproof and parts are always available40.

There is something many a VW guy has enjoyed reporting he drives a 50-anything VW vs. the common 60s cat.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Helfen wrote:
This pamphlet only refers to the deluxe U.S. export car..

True... OTS shows location in United States.. odds are they both a Deluxe...but good point none the less...

I Ride Dirt Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:41 pm

Well, the 61' is a full restoration in a field, and has been bondo'd by the precious owner. It going to need the pans replaced and new interior. The 58' tranny has been converted to synchronized and the body is overall in better condition, but he has no idea what condition the pan is in, and it most likely will need to be taken off and worked on.

If I got either one I'd like to convert it over to dp due to more experience with dp, but I'm open to opinions.

$1200 for the 61'
$1700 for the 58'

The 61' has the engine in it, as well as matching numbers, but the 58' doesn't have an engine.

I will see what I can do about getting some photos.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:08 pm

Your actual location can sometimes dictate an asking price....but...IMO..... rusty, , questionable and neither in an operable state...at those prices....both are overpriced...
They sound like parts cars.

Don't let the seller play your heart strings..

I Ride Dirt Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:00 pm

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: Your actual location can sometimes dictate an asking price....but...IMO..... rusty, , questionable and neither in an operable state...at those prices....both are overpriced...

Yeah. Here in Northern UT, 69 & older Beetles are getting pretty rare. $1500 seems about average.. For a non running beetle.

henry roberts Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:58 pm

it sounds like you need to check both out in person, if possible.

btw, if you can work on a dp motor you can work on any vw motor.

what do you want out if your beetle in the end?
daily driver, weekend cruiser, trailered to shows?
100% stock, mildly modified etc.
heavily patina'd, nice driver or fully restored and shiny?
do you want it to look/be 100% correct (bar the dp motor)?

are you on a tight budget or can you afford to throw $ at it?
how much time do you have to spend on it and how soon do you want to drive it?
do you have or have easy access to plenty early bits and pieces?
what work can you do yourself and what will you have to get done?

your answers to the questions above should help get you closer to a decision or give us a better base to make suggestions from.

stale air Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:28 pm

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: Your actual location can sometimes dictate an asking price....but...IMO..... rusty, , questionable and neither in an operable state...at those prices....both are overpriced...

X2, I agree, seems high.
Maybe you should skip both cars and keep looking?

VOLKSWAGNUT Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:56 am

Shinine7 wrote:
Yeah. Here in Northern UT, 69 & older Beetles are getting pretty rare. $1500 seems about average.. For a non running beetle.

For a cool $1k or less ... have one shipped from a lower rust area..
In the end.. rust cost lots of time and money to fix properly.
The money well spent on buying a running and driving car shipped to you is worth 10 fold what time it will cost you to make rust repairs.
Who knows if the owner paperwork is correct or legit on either.

Try to get a better deal on them .. or keep looking.