TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sliding door does not want to close
kdenault Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:02 pm

The sliding door on my 73 transporter opens fine and slides to close fine as well. The problem comes with the rear of the door moving back into closed position and staying closed securely. It will not go into this closed position unless I use my left hand to apply a little gentle inward persuasion...then it closes securely. Is this normal on a 40+ year old bus?
Most posts I've read on sliding doors deal with the opening of the door...my problem is the other end of the spectrum...the closing.
Any ideas?

peaceful warrior Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:31 pm

kdenault wrote: The sliding door on my 73 transporter opens fine and slides to close fine as well. The problem comes with the rear of the door moving back into closed position and staying closed securely. It will not go into this closed position unless I use my left hand to apply a little gentle inward persuasion...then it closes securely. Is this normal on a 40+ year old bus?
Most posts I've read on sliding doors deal with the opening of the door...my problem is the other end of the spectrum...the closing.
Any ideas?

Try cleaning the locking mechanism and latches. Lubing them would not hurt either.

larryducas Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:35 pm

Try cleaning the locking mechanism and latches. Lubing them would not hurt either.[/quote]

x2

obx71super Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:53 am

Pull up on the handle as you close. Same issue with my door, but I heard on here that is the proper way to close it and voila it worked!

Bala Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:15 am

Check the little nylon block that is attached to the hing assy. Mine was broken and caused the rear to sag and miss aligning things. I had the exact issue you are having and a new block fixed it.