TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Brake info needed
DaPope Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:52 pm

After three days of heating, tapping, spraying, drilling (repeat ad nausium), I finally got the one piece star adjuster/adjuster bolt out of the housing. I know, but mine were rusted into one piece! So, got them apart but the parking brake cable, which was also rusted into one part with the backing plate, broke just at the backing plate. I have searched everywhere but cannot find a picture of what the complete parking brake system looks like. I've seen the cable and the end of the cable at the lever, but I need to see what components are at the brake end. What is on the outside of the backing plate? There is a rubber hose with some sort of coil in it up against the backing plate. Is the attached to the backing plate or a separate part? How does the cable end get through it? How does it attach to the backing plate? Thanks so much for the help, and hopefully pictures...

busdaddy Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:12 pm

The "hose with the coil in it" is swaged into an end part that slides into a hole in the backing plate, grab the part sticking out of the backing plate closest to the "hose" with vise grips and twist, telling us what year your bus is will help a whole too lot as there's a number of different configurations over the years.

DaPope Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:16 pm

It's a '71 tintop... The Rubber tube thing broke right at the tube on the backing plate. Totally nothing to grasp to pull anything out. Is this a piece that is included with a new cable? Should I drill out the piece of coil that is in the backing plate tube?

SGKent Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:18 pm

the cable housing has a metal ferrule on the end that sits inside that tube in the backing plate. The cable and the ferrule slide in to the brake area then the hoop on the end nests with the parking brake lever.

DaPope Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Your picture shows the brake cable after it enters the brake. I see the rubber "cover" in the background but not the tube it goes into on the backing plate. I am assuming the tube which is about an inch long and appears to be bonded to the backing plate is not party off the brake cable. Again, I'm assuming the coil that broke off is part of the cable and simply slides into this tube. If this is correct, would it be safe to drill out the broken coil from inside this tube? I really do appreciate the time helping me.

DaPope Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:56 pm

kreemoweet Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:18 pm

Most of what your photos show emerging from the back of the backing plate is part of the cable assembly. I have a new '71
cable at hand, the metal fitting that meets the plate is about 1 1/2 in. long, with about a 1/2 in long section that slides into
the plate tube and a 1 in long section with a larger diameter that's outside.

The actual tube that's part of the plate is about 1/2 in inside diameter.

So yeah, you can just drill that crap outta there.

DaPope Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Great... I'll get on it tomorrow.... These things sure rust.... Thank you for the help

SGKent Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:16 pm

from google and some of the vendors who sell bus parts