TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1990 van throttle cable
pushkick Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:08 pm

does any on know what size the throttle cabe is on a 1990 camper?

thanks
bruce

rym Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:18 pm

20" from mount to fully extended boot side.
99" total length from tipo to tip.

2" cable movement either way plus a bit if a lever is stronger than my hands.
That's part 434 861 44 11. No guarantees it is right but it's what I bought from GoWesty. Blame them if it's wrong!

Wildthings Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:41 pm

Automatics use different cables for manual transmission rigs. Just order the correct cable for your year and transmission. Nothing more is required. You can probably get this part through your FLAPS if you don't have a VW specialty shop close by.

pushkick Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:27 am

sorry should have posted that i have an automatic and throttle is sticking, lubed cable and it seems to work for awhile then starts sticking again. usually only sticks at full throttle. lubed at carb and transmission and used silicon spray lube. looks like rubber boot protector at transmission is missing. the reason i was looking for cable dimensions is the one i have is steel and the replacement ones are steel i was thinking of using a ss cable so it wouldnt rust as bad. what i was looking for was diameter and length before i removed my old one so i could make my own ss cable.

danfromsyr Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:05 am

the stock vanagon automatic throttle cable has a ball socket coupler on the end that mates with the Transmission kickdown lever/arm
Odds are strong that the ball socket is dry and binding, this I've seen the most frequent.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Throttle-Cable-1983-91-Vanagon-with-Auto-Trans-p/251-723-555e.htm

pushkick Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:55 pm

i measured the cable and it seems to be 1/16" dia and i have a small bend near the transmission kick down lever. that was causing my problem and with the rubber boot missing the cable rusted. cleaned it up and tried to unkink but only marginal success. will have to get a new cable so i may replace only the cable with a ss version and a new boot. i will have to make it myselt but this should do away with the rusting issue.

pushkick Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:55 am

how do you get the ball and socket unit apart. the new cable dosent have a ball just the socket . i assume you use the old ball attached to the shifting arm. how do you get them apart? if i need a new ball where do i get it and what size?