TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Alternator only charges after revving. Page: 1, 2  Next
IdahoDoug Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:34 pm

My 1987's stock Bosch alternator is not charging at idle when I start it. It will charge one revved and seems to then be more apt to charge for a while. However, I see the charge light flicker once in a while even on the freeway so I know something's amiss.

Would this be the voltage regulator/brush part that I can remove and service myself? Or do you think it would be a diode elsewhere in the alternator that requires a professional?

I had been planning to replace the VR/brushes myself as preventative but now that it's acting up I thought I'd ask if this was a wise course or not likely to fix my issue. Bearings are sound, so doesn't seem to need a rebuild otherwise. Belt is tight, battery connections are clean and tight. Just realized I have not checked the alternator connections for corrosion, but suspect that's not causing this symptom.

What say ye?

Thanks

geo_tonz Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Mine was the same until I put Jay's alternator harness on. Light would stay on until I backed out of the driveway at idle, shifted to drive and then stepped on the gas and it'd go out.

Now I start and the light goes out as soon as the van is running.

insyncro Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Covered in many threads, with a few different fixes.

Ahwahnee Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:28 pm

I think the need to blip the throttle to initiate charging in normal for most alternators, certainly on my Westy.

That flickering light? -- yeah, brushes are where I'd start.

Steve M. Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Brushes or check your grounds for corrosion. Not only the wiring, but check/clean the bolts that mount the alternator. Then drive down to Rocketbox and check his wiring! :D

IdahoDoug Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:46 pm

Thanks. Will order the VR/brush kit and go through the grounds and alt connections while its on the way. Just didn't want to order it and then find there's another common problem elsewhere in the alternator that's known about here. I have a guy who's aces on rebuilding alternators. He's old school and did my Syncro and Audi. But he's on vacation for a while and the bearings on this one seem fine, so will handle it myself.

Regards,

Doug

crazyvwvanman Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:56 am

The need to rev first for the light to go out is pretty common for Westys and other vans with options that are wired to the blue wire circuit. Aux battery relays often are this way.

Mark

danfromsyr Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:59 am

very common
it's only a problem if you think it is.
your time
your money
your nerves

depends on what bothers you the most.

kalispell365 Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:53 am

Also, clean/ polish the slip ring with some scotchbrite, preferably the brownish color pads.

IdahoDoug Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:34 pm

The big slip ring on the starter? If so, I just had it off to install the excellent hot start relay kit from Jay Brown and it was in great shape. As for the need to rev as a normal Vanagon thing, I think my alt must have an issue since the battery is good and after a few days it is low. Suspect something more than that is going on. Am curious abouth the slip ring tho...

kalispell365 Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:38 am

Doug,
NO, there is a copper sleeve on the alternator shaft that the brushes ride on, it should be polished smooth with some coarse scotchbrite. If it is scored/worn/ damaged, the alternator will go through brushes. If it is bad, sometimes they can be turned down by an alternator shop, or a new one pressed on.

Im sure there is one in Spokane/ CDA.

IdahoDoug Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Thank you for the clarification. I solved the problem today with a NAPA 90A alternator for peanuts. Was about twice the price of the better quality VR/brush kit so it feels like a cop out but we are spontaneously taking the van on its first trip this weekend so I needed a fast and solid solution. Install was a breeze except for the annoying deal with the WBX belts needing the bleeder hose to come off to change. Put new belts on while I was in there.

I think the old alt was not doing much even at speed. This one came with its own test sheet with the serial number on the case showing over 120A at freeway RPMs. Should do the job.

Doug

Steve M. Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:33 pm

IdahoDoug wrote: Thank you for the clarification. I solved the problem today with a NAPA 90A alternator for peanuts. Was about twice the price of the better quality VR/brush kit so it feels like a cop out but we are spontaneously taking the van on its first trip this weekend so I needed a fast and solid solution. Install was a breeze except for the annoying deal with the WBX belts needing the bleeder hose to come off to change. Put new belts on while I was in there.

I think the old alt was not doing much even at speed. This one came with its own test sheet with the serial number on the case showing over 120A at freeway RPMs. Should do the job.

Doug

NAPA part number?

IdahoDoug Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:09 pm

2138361, $80.55 and comes with a 3 year warranty. They call it a "premium rebuilt" listing new bearings, a double lipped new seal, high temp grease, new slip ring, new brushes, new rectifier, etc and tested. 105A at 3500RPM. Actual peak output was 116A at 6000, btw - not the 120 I guessed wrongly from the graph.

I removed and used my pulley, used their new bolts and slapped it in with new Continental belts from Van Cafe I'd purchased earlier. The NAPA box said "w/o pulley" but it had a pulley that I did not like as much as the one on my alternator. $38 core charge and in stock in my small town.

DougM

insyncro Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:54 am

Save that receipt :!:

geo_tonz Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:38 am

insyncro wrote: Save that receipt :!:

Any reason in particular or just being helpful? Known to fail quickly or you just personally don't trust the NAPA rebuilds or something else? Wondering this as I think my alternator bearings are starting to make noise so considering my options, and NAPA is in my town too.

insyncro Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:49 pm

geo_tonz wrote: insyncro wrote: Save that receipt :!:

Any reason in particular or just being helpful? Known to fail quickly or you just personally don't trust the NAPA rebuilds or something else? Wondering this as I think my alternator bearings are starting to make noise so considering my options, and NAPA is in my town too.

NAPA has grades of parts.
In the past I have purchased the highest grade they had to offer for Vanagon replacement parts.
The longest a NAPA replacement alternator worked on a waterboxer powered van I owned was 5 months, properly tested.
The quality of the rebuilds were shite and the core I gave them was an original part, never rebuilt.
After the third return, I asked for my money back and my core back.
They refunded my money but only offered up another core in very poor shape.

I now send my original parts to be rebuilt by a Gent who has a thread here and he offers higher output versions as well.
The quality of the pieces I get back are spectacular.

geo_tonz Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:00 pm

insyncro wrote:
NAPA has grades of parts.
In the past I have purchased the highest grade they had to offer for Vanagon replacement parts.
The longest a NAPA replacement alternator worked on a waterboxer powered van I owned was 5 months, properly tested.
The quality of the rebuilds were shite and the core I gave them was an original part, never rebuilt.
After the third return, I asked for my money back and my core back.
They refunded my money but only offered up another core in very poor shape.

I now send my original parts to be rebuilt by a Gent who has a thread here and he offers higher output versions as well.
The quality of the pieces I get back are spectacular.

Good to know,
Thanks

KMStellaVan Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:29 pm

Has anyone tried the Alternator Charge Initiator from Go Westy? http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=24031&category_id=&category_parent_id= My alternator light does the same thing.

MichaelBuck Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:25 am

insyncro wrote: Covered in many threads, with a few different fixes.

Could you help with these threads or search terms to finds said threads. I've been looking but cannot seem to find them. I have had this going on since I installed an AHU in my Syncro and want it to go away! I had to change alternators last week and that did not help so I'm looking for options.

I did add a Bosch 12v Intercooler pump, on a relay, powered off the alt + post. Maybe some other things are feeding off that supply line too but the pump is the only non factory thing added beyond normal diesel wiring configuration.

TIA