TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: tdi doka shift linkage problems
trekker6 Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:17 am

It's a 1986 bundeswehr doka with an ahu tdi, just had a rebuilt 87 vanagon tranny from aatransaxle installed, it runs great, but shifting is difficult to 1st or 2nd and there is no detent for reverse, it easily shifts into reverse which almost indistinguishable from 1st gear, could it be an adjustment problem or the difference between the 1.6 doka tranny and the newer 2.1 tranny. Although it shifts positively into gear, I'm afraid I'll damage the new tranny with the shifter being non typical.
Thanks for listening.

Zeitgeist 13 Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:13 am

Since the smarties aren't chiming in, I'll take a stab at it. I suspect your shifter rod is out of alignment, and/or has broken or missing ears on the section below the actual shifter in the cab. Drop the spare tire and look up into the box, and it should be fully intact (search here for pics). If not, your mission is clear. Bentley has guidance regarding alignment specs once the assembly is squared away. What gears did AA install in the trans?

trekker6 Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks for the reply, I had a 3rd and .70 4th, plus I had the peloquins limited slip differential, the oil plate and bearing holder, I need this to last me for a long time.

I've read a couple posts that some diesels shifters are different from previous ones and I don't want another can of worms.

Zeitgeist 13 Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:35 pm

Sounds like a sweet TDI trans.

Unless your previous trans was a five speed, I don't think there are too many transmission specific things that would theoretically interfere with your linkage.

trekker6 Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:08 am

Does anyone know the years with the raised shifter, my doka is a 1986 bundeswehr vehicle.

MarkWard Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:43 pm

Can't comment on the Doka, but you should be able to see the problem and figure out a resolution. The reverse lockout comes from the shifter box from the front. Was this van a diesel from the factory or a gasser? The original diesels that came in this country had the transmission mounted higher in the front compared to a gasser. They used a different last section of shift rod. A few pictures might help us to help you.

trekker6 Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:21 am

thanks for the reply, my doka came with the diesel, but I still have the same linkage from the doka, so it should match up to the 87 wolfsburg right?

MarkWard Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:48 am

It came from the factory with the AHU diesel? A picture or 2 would be helpful still. Bottom line, the reverse lockout comes from the shifter box up front under the floor, not the transmission per say.

If you don't feel the lock out, the shifter could have sunk for a couple reasons and you are below the lockout plate. Adjusting the vanagon shifter seems to give a lot of people headaches. It is a really simple design, but remember you are threading a needle with a broom stick. There is a shift bushing support bracket bolted to the transmission. It needs to be on the front of the ears not the rear. I recall a recent thread where the 5 speed took a different cup and rear bar.

I would disconnect the shift lever from the transmission by dropping the support bracket and verify you can shift the transmission thorough all the gears at the transmission ball lever. If you can, the problem wear in the bushings, dropped shift lever, or an adjustment. You really need to watch from below, while someone works the shifter to see what is happening. Adjustment is done at the clamp at the rear section. It should require zero side to side movement to select 3rd and 4th. If you move the shift lever to the right, it is not adjusted correctly. Search here and you will fine many threads on this subject. It really baffles a lot of members.

trekker6 Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:19 pm

sorry, it came with 1.6 diesel, I had the ahu from another van which I had swapped over to the doka. I had the swap done for me as I can no longer wrench because of a skiing accident, so I'll have to get it back to the shop, in the meantime I'm not driving the doka although it runs great with the tdi.

MarkWard Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:06 pm

Yes, you need some motion to get under there and check it out. It is possible that the engine is sitting in a different position and the linkage will need to be adjusted to suit the engine. The original diesel sat low in the rear compared to the boxer engine and the transmission nose cone was pointed upwards. I am sure it is an adjustment. There are some very subtle differences in these setups. Parts appear at a glance to be identical, but infact can be slightly different through the years. Plus you have something that was not sold in its present form. Here is a drawing I uploaded at some point showing the diesel engine drooped in the rear.

trekker6 Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks RSXR,
It's fixed and shifts wonderfully, just needed an adjustment.
I have a question for you, is your alh modified? I see where you have 215 65 16 tires, I acquired a set of clk wheels, ordered parts from t3technique and am looking at tires, I like the 215 65 16s, but am worried that it might be too tall, I have a .70 4th and 4.86 r&P.

MarkWard Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:19 pm

I compared your gearing against mine using the 215/65/16 tire against mine with a 4.14 and a .77 forth.

You in 4th gear. 70 MPH = 2964 RPM Me in 4th gear. 70 MPH = 2778 RPM

I ended up being geared too tall for out west. I could not pull 4th gear up any long hills. I ended up installing slightly larger nozzles and now it pulls 4th gear fine. I used sprint bozio 520s I believe that are what came in stock Europe TDI's.

I am ready for new tires and may drop down to a 60 series. My reasoning is that the shorter profile might have less sidewall deflection. Once I get out of Florida I usually set the cruise on 65mph. In Florida I have to run 70.

You will probably be on the edge with out more power, but should be ok.

trekker6 Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:29 pm

thanks for calculating that for me, I was aiming for 3000rpm @ 70mph. I don't mind dropping it into 3rd for uphills, I picked the doka up in seattle a few years ago and it had the 1.6 in it, 63 mph on the flats and 37 uphill in 3rd, but I made it. If it's a little underpowered I'll change injector tips or possibly do a mild tune, I want this to last a long time.

MarkWard Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:43 pm

There is a FMBC GTG in north Florida end of January along the Suwanee river at Convict Springs. Always a good time. Maybe we'll see you there if you like camping and talking VW.

I just drove to Colorado and back to South Florida. I saw 5 or 6 vanagons in Colorado. Otherwise I saw none. Not too many here in Florida.

trekker6 Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:17 am

I love camping, but the quadriplegia hinders me, but I'm definitely interested, I have a tilt set up in the doka, but I'm not set up for camping, maybe if I get a palomino b-600 slide in camper I could make it.
thanks

strawhouse Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:49 pm

I have a 88 Diesel Doka from Germany that came with a stock 1.6TD
Quite a few of the components on the stock diesel dokas are the same as a gasser. The main problem you will run into is the height of the shifter arm that attaches to the transmission ( the diesel is taller )

To fix that, I turn a bushing on the lathe to add the height

And then press it into a new gasser arm

When all said and done it works beautiful. Its a bit of work but its our only option unless you order something from Europe