TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How many hours to do clutch Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
rabbitmania Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:57 pm

I recently took my '62 Beetle with a 1600dp in for a clutch replacement and not only was it in the shop for a month, I was charged 12.95 hrs to do the job.
What do you think of that? Does that seem right?

aircoolnut Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Time to find another shop. I would say 4 hours tops, less for an experienced shop barring any unforseen trouble.

rabbitmania Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Trust me, I'm done with this place. Does a 1600 in an early car really give that much trouble? That's what I'm being told.

Bob Loblaw Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:16 pm

rabbitmania wrote: Trust me, I'm done with this place. Does a 1600 in an early car really give that much trouble? That's what I'm being told.
No

rabbitmania Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Thank you. I knew it didn't. This is madness!

wayne1230cars Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:14 pm

12.95 hours to change a clutch?? 3 - 4 hours max. I have done that repair myself in my garage at home in that amount of time. The major time is just the removal and reinstall of the engine. Chances are that as an owner of a 50+ year old car, you may need to do another engine pull at some point. You can save yourself a pile of money if you can maintain and repair your bug. I really don't think having a later engine in an early car would be a problem.
Best of luck. Enjoy your bug. They really are fun.

Cusser Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:21 pm

At bottom is some flat rate information I had saved from years back, don't know the source. But flat rate hours shouldn't really vary as time passes.

This lists 1.5 hrs for engine R&R, so at most 1.0 additional hours (my guess) to swap over new pressure plate, disc, and throwout bearing. Note that it lists 1.0 hrs additional for flywheel R&R and oil seal, so that may have been done if they resurfaced or replaced the flywheel. So that makes 3.5 hours labor for that, not 12.95 !!!

OK, here's all what I had written down years ago, don't know the source:
brake shoes front & rear 2.2
brake overhaul (shoes & wheel cylinders) 5.0
handbrake adjust 0.4
master cylinder R&R 1.2 overhaul (early) 1.8
axle boot 0.6
speedometer R&R 0.4
speedo cable R&R 0.4
ignition switch (late) 1.7
engine R&R 1.5
crankshaft oil seal 1.0
pushrod tube seals 3.5
switch over engine components (e.g. to rebuilt engine) 4.0
tune-up major 1.8
starter R&R 0.7
oil cooler re-seal (early) 1.6
generator R&R (early) 1.2
generator R&R (late) 2.0

rabbitmania Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, I know I should have tried it myself. I've gained a lot of confidence working on my car but since it's the middle of summer, I wanted the job done quickly and properly. If I had of known it would be down for a month, I definitely would have tackled it.

Potsie Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Yeah, wtf? Even if it took them that long, they're supposed to charge for what the job is suppose to take-- not how long it actually took them. Sounds like this shop was not familiar with acvws and you paid for their education. I know it took me forever the first time I put my engine back in.

I don't know what you're bill came to, but a clutch kit, new flywheel, seals, and a couple special tools you need comes to about $200. It probably would take you at least 12 hours if you're new to it. But you really can save a lot of money if you learn to work on your own car. I definitely had/have a lot to learn, but I'm sure I've already saved thousands doing my own repairs.

rabbitmania Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:49 pm

Next time, I'll give it a go.
The funny thing is, they are supposed to be well versed in air-cooleds. Lol

hitest Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:51 pm

Call me a skeptic- but there has got to be more to the story here.

Is there a chance that they ordered a 40hp clutch 1st in based on the year of your car- then (dumbfoundedly) learned it had a 1600DP in it? Or have they known all along about the specs of your car? Reason I ask is to adjust labor to account for restock on wrong clutch, extra order time, etc. They may have found a way to divorce you as a client- have you had problems with these guys in the past?

In many words, is there more to this story? Because no VW shop could stay open long enough to have repeat customers with the info in this thread.

VOLKSWAGNUT Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Forget the hours... How much was the bill and what repairs and parts exactly.

No sense in getting all exicted about 12.95 hours...if they charge $20 an hour...

It's all relevant..

3 hours at $78 or 13 hours at $18.... ..its the same cost in labor

rabbitmania Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:21 pm

The total of the bill came to nearly $1300.
They did originally have the wrong pressure plate and put it back together with it. I was told I was only being charged for the first re and re and not the second PP.
I suspect they are trying to make some of that labour back.

VOLKSWAGNUT Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:32 pm

1300 dollars ? For a clutch job and maybe a flywheel seal.... :shock:

Yeah...you got fully reamed without any lube....
Dont sit down for a while.

Either there is more to this tale then you are telling or the repair shop are full blown jerks...

Its asses like that, that give the rest of us that work in the auto repair industry a bad rap..... :x ...

You paid for their screw up 10 fold...

Post up some feedback with the shop name and info in the feedback forum so others will steer clear or at least do their homework before paying those gougers.

rabbitmania Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:48 pm

I haven't paid for anything yet. I can assure you, it's happened exactly as I said it.

wayne1230cars Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:52 pm

rabbitmania wrote: The total of the bill came to nearly $1300.
They did originally have the wrong pressure plate and put it back together with it. I was told I was only being charged for the first re and re and not the second PP.
I suspect they are trying to make some of that labour back.

Very likely. Guessing about a thousand for the labour and the rest in parts. Of course 13% HST tax factored into that amount as well. Another reason to start doing your own repairs.

Glenn Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Sounds like a driveway, a few friends and (2) 6 packs

rabbitmania Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Glenn wrote: Sounds like a driveway, a few friends and (2) 6 packs

I like the way you think. Lesson learned but this isn't over yet.

Glenn Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:03 pm

A stock 1600 in a late model car is at most a 2 hour job... i've done it in 1 hour with a floor jack and 2 jack stands.

A 1600 in a early 60s, is a bit harder and you might have to take the #3 heater box off. If the studs and nuts are clean it comes off in a few minutes. If they're rusted its more work.

I'd say 3-4 hours is a fair price to pay a shop if they know VWs. If they don't then you shouldn't pay for them to learn.

rabbitmania Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:20 pm

The heater boxes aren't even on it. All bolts and everything should have been all clean, this car isn't a typical driver.