TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What's a good price on a donor car for engine swap?
northband Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi I found a 'local' 1998 Subaru Legacy w/ EJ-25 not running. However, it comes with a second EJ-25 motor they were getting ready to rebuild and put in.

They want 500 bucks for both. Curious if this is a good deal or not. I'd like to make the swap this Winter if possible but just starting to look around at engines.

I know the idea is to get a donor car to pull the harness, ECU and engine from so that's why this looks a bit enticing. However, the fact that its not running concerns me - but if I'm going to rebuild the EJ-25 then maybe it doesn't matter.

If I get this then I'll rebuild both at once and sell the extra.

geo_tonz Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:17 pm

I guess I'd want to know why they didn't rebuild the engine. Was the original one non-rebuildable and the replacement also turned out to be in too rough a shape? Don't really want to buy 2 lawn ornaments...

wcdennis Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:29 pm

$500 is what I paid for my donor '91 Legacy 10 years ago. It was running, but needed a new water pump.

If that 2nd engine has all its sensors and accessories (alternator power steering pump, etc), I would say it is a good deal. You can probably swap parts around and have a decent running engine and spare parts for the future.

vanis13 Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:10 pm

DIY rebuilding the 2.5 $500 at min about $1,000 with new pistons, etc.

Its an easy thing to do.

Rocky Mountain Westy Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:46 pm

There are lots of opinions out there but I don't think the 98 DOHC 2.5 is a good choice. The Subaru SOHC engines fit my desires of simple, reliable and efficient way better. If you want a 2.5L engine spend another $1k and buy an 00-03 2.5L. In the end it will be the best $1k you spent on the whole project.

northband Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:15 am

Thanks for the tips!

Wellington Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:58 am

And as everyone keeps saying, "the motor is the least expensive part", look for a deal, but don't cheap out.

kalispell365 Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:12 am

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote: There are lots of opinions out there but I don't think the 98 DOHC 2.5 is a good choice. The Subaru SOHC engines fit my desires of simple, reliable and efficient way better. If you want a 2.5L engine spend another $1k and buy an 00-03 2.5L. In the end it will be the best $1k you spent on the whole project.

Absolutely!

The 4 cam motor is one of the worst motors that Subaru built, there are many better choices out there.

vanonimous Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:48 pm

I got my (99 Forester) for $600 on local CL and sold the leftover for $400 after extracting all I needed.
Now that I am looking for a second one I am realizing that was a great deal. I think getting a wreck at insurance auctions is the way to go. Get something rolled that few people bid on cause it is non repairable.

19super73 Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:02 am

I lucked into a smoking deal on a '93 Legacy AWD. 2.2L engine, less than 50 km on the timing belt and water pump. I figure that after I pull the engine and harness for my '84 Vanagon, I can easily sell the new rad and transmission, then scrap the car for much more than the $200 I'm paying for it.