TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Are we Nuts?
Thom and the Flat Rats Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:38 pm

We're planning on doing a southern trip over the next months +. Heading from Vancouver, BC to Capitol Reef, Arches, Four Corners, Grand Canyon and Death Valley before I head home along the coast.

Has anyone camped in Death Valley in mid Sept?

From what I've seen the temperatures can be above 110 Degrees F.

The van doesn't have air conditioning. Has anyone driven through Death Valley in September and lived to tell about it?

On paper it sounds good but I'm concerned the Van will overheat or worst will die.

Sooo, Are we nuts???

highaltidude Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:47 pm

I was in Lillooet last month in a non a/c Vanagon, and it was 108.
And I'm still alive to talk about it....
:-)

Chuck

buildyourown Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 pm

I did a trip through Death Valley in Oct in an Blazer with no A/C. 3 Dudes in our underwear with all the windows down.
Didn't camp, but it was hot. Open the oven door and stick your head in hot.

hans j Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:10 pm

Don't know about the other stuff but Capitol Reef has some awesome places. PM me if you are interested in driving some dirt roads! I might even be able to head down and go with you if you like. We are headed that way this weekend but going more south towards Escelante to visit some slot canyons.

jberger Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Spend more time in panamint valley... 2000 feet higher and super cool shit to find.

kamzcab86 Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Thom and the Flat Rats wrote: The van doesn't have air conditioning. Has anyone driven through Death Valley in September and lived to tell about it?

Yes, but not in a Vanagon. It was back in the late '80s in a Chevy Suburban towing a boat (ergo, no A/C running to prevent overheat). Arrived at Furnace Creek late at night and it was still around 97°. If you're not used to that kind of heat, no way will you be able to sleep unless you get a camp site with electrical and run some sort of cooling device.

http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/camping.htm

If you're planning to physically sight-see (i.e. hike, etc.), please go fully prepared: http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/yoursafety.htm .

Be sure to fill your gas tank before entering the park... otherwise, prepare for sticker shock.

^2011 prices :shock:

Thom and the Flat Rats wrote: On paper it sounds good but I'm concerned the Van will overheat or worst will die.

If the van is in tip-top shape, it shouldn't have a problem. However, you might see it run just a bit hotter than you're used to seeing up in Vancouver.

Personal opinion: Unless you're dead-set on going to Death Valley, I'd skip it until you can return in the cooler months, when touring the unique places of the Park is more enjoyable.

Terry Kay Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:35 pm

<<From what I've seen the temperatures can be above 110 Degrees F.
The van doesn't have air conditioning. Has anyone driven through Death Valley in September and lived to tell about it?
On paper it sounds good but I'm concerned the Van will overheat or worst will die.
Sooo, Are we nuts???>>

Bonified Nuts--

As long as Vans cooling system is up to snuff, ( new radiator--not the original) it will be fine.
However, the occcupants may not be---

jberger Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:40 pm

Terry Kay wrote: <<From what I've seen the temperatures can be above 110 Degrees F.
Sooo, Are we nuts???>>

Bonified Nuts--

As long as Vans cooling system is up to snuff, ( new radiator--not the original) it will be fine.
However, the occcupants may not be---

Werd... I went through in May, 100++, no issues at all... Except human. We also travel across California all summer in 100++ temps., the van doesn't care at all.

hdenter Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Well, here in North SLO county it is 100"+ all summer long and I have never had a VW with A/C until my wife got her Passat. Make sure you have lots of extra water in the van at all times if you go tooling around in Death Valley. People get lost and die of thirst in the extreme heat. On that somber note, have a great trip! It is beautiful in the valley. My favorite time is spring when you can catch the wild flowers for a few weeks.

Hans

Terry Kay Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:46 pm

Again; if you have verified coolant system updates, you should have no issues.
If you had an original radiator, and no cooling system verified maintanence records your outa your mind too-- and a 30 year old cooling system?
--no way Jose.

Your totally outa your mind--- :shock:

Thom and the Flat Rats Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks all

We haven't had a problem in the past with temperatures above 110.

We've been to Zion and through Nevada in the past. The problem is when I see the heat is above 125. Yikes.

We want to drive from the Grand Canyon to Yosemite and while we're down there it would be so cool (OK not so much so) to see a place in the Earth we will never see again.

The van is well maintained. I've owned it since 1989. The last trip was across Canada and back through the US. (14,000 km). Since then I've replaced the gas tank and transmission.

Any advice on how to deal with the kind of temperatures we may experience would be helpful.

Terry Kay Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:10 pm

With no cooling system care, drive at night--hope for the best.
It'll be cooler in the van for sure anyway--not much, but doable.

ThankYouJerry Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:24 pm

Several O2 Cool 12v Fans:

http://www.o2-cool.com/10-Inch-Portable-Smart-Powe...age_id=842

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Fan-Can-Batteries-A...ol+12v+fan

And, ideally, 2-4 Die Hard Platinum AGM aux batteries under the bench seat + Blue Sea ACR…

Waaaaay better than nothing :shock: !

Steve M. Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:38 pm

really you should be okay.
the obvious bring lots more water then you think you need for D.V.
if your going to be out there 3 daze, bring 5 daze supply per person and let the rangers and family know where you will be and when you will contact them next.

you could build yourself a swamp cooler out of old ice chest and 12v box fans. that would work as long as you had a supply of ice and battery power.
for driving you could also buy one of the antique window mounted swamp coolers found in eBay. again you need a supply of water.

sunscreen, camera and tripod for the stars and your set!
add Zion & Bryce National Parks and "Lost Wages" to your itinary!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_kw=THERMADOR+CAR+WINDOW+SWAMP+COOLER

Ahwahnee Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:21 am

I don't mind the heat and neither does my Westy -- have often driven when the temps are 'in the teens' (as we say).

That said -- I do not sleep well in the heat. It's even worse if we have been driving as the engine does such a nice job of warming the lower mattress.

We always try to make altitude by the end of the day and arrive early enough that I can lift the mattress and open the engine lid for a couple of hours before turning in.

You've mentioned some beautiful places but it is hard to really enjoy all of them in one trip as they have very different seasons. I would suggest you see fewer places, enjoy them longer and get the others on a future spring or winter trip.

BTW -- Since Zion has the word 'Canyon' in it's name you might think of it as a cool place like Bryce or the North Rim -- but it can be pretty hot in September.

Windig89 Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:31 am

I highly recommend you get one of these cooling towels for each person.

http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-Chilly-Cooling-Towel/dp/B0049RPBWW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

They do work, its my "Westy A/C" you just need to have water with you to reload them periodically. Otherwise a quick whip of the towel starts the evaporative cooling cycle again. Works better than a fan and req no electricity. They work best in dry climates like where you are going.

Good luck!

kamzcab86 Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:23 am

Thom and the Flat Rats wrote: Thanks all

We haven't had a problem in the past with temperatures above 110.

We've been to Zion and through Nevada in the past. The problem is when I see the heat is above 125. Yikes.

As we're fond of saying here in the desert: "Once it gets to 110, anything above is all the same... hot!" :lol:

Thom and the Flat Rats wrote: We want to drive from the Grand Canyon to Yosemite and while we're down there it would be so cool (OK not so much so) to see a place in the Earth we will never see again.

I'd try to plan the route to get to Death Valley early in the morning.

Thom and the Flat Rats wrote: Any advice on how to deal with the kind of temperatures we may experience would be helpful.

Spray bottle filled with water and this http://www.lowes.com/pd_563708-49433-108007_0__?pr...facetInfo= .

To help sleep at night, get a beach towel wet and cover yourself with it.

DLJ Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:53 am

In Death Valley, Mahogany Flat and Thorndike campground are over 8K feet.
Always cool at night there. Drive through Wildrose Canyon to get there. Nice.
Very step grades getting into park (overheat) If possible drive into park via
Hwy 178 out of Shoshone.
That said, temps dont cool down much at night. Ive done it but didnt like it much. On the other hand people from all over the world go there specifically to experience these conditions.