TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Keys for a 68
bwelcher Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Recently found a full lock set on thesamba for my 68 Single Cab and in the process of swapping them out. Looking to understand what was the stock key for 68. I understand the key for the set I have is an "R" series (12R093). Any recommendations/words of wisdom as to where I can find original 1968 blanks that will fit my locks?

Thanks in advance

airschooled Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:54 pm

bwelcher wrote: Recently found a full lock set on thesamba for my 68 Single Cab and in the process of swapping them out. Looking to understand what was the stock key for 68. I understand the key for the set I have is an "R" series (12R093). Any recommendations/words of wisdom as to where I can find original 1968 blanks that will fit my locks?

Thanks in advance

Contact Jason "steelersbus" on The Samba. He's a locksmith with a tremendous knowledge and inventory of VW lock parts for all models and years. He has ads here in the classifides.

Or you could do a search for "key code" or something similiar. I know this has been discussed before.

Brian Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Lucky.

L is the right code for '68. But I don't think that will matter.

1967250s Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:54 pm

Your old locks can be re-keyed to match the OG steering key by steelersbus, too, I think. Depends on how original you want the Bus, or to just use 1 key, or 2.

Tcash Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:55 pm

Locating your Key Code...various years and models

bwelcher Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks to all. As always you guys are great help!

ned Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:46 pm

If you are have your t chest locks and mechanisms you are very lucky. I recently had keys made for mine. I took them with instead of sending them out in the post. Not easy to replace. The lock bezels are even harder to find.And of course I am missing one. 68 one year only.

ned Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:46 pm

If you are have your t chest locks and mechanisms you are very lucky. I recently had keys made for mine. I took them with instead of sending them out in the post. Not easy to replace. The lock bezels are even harder to find.And of course I am missing one. 68 one year only.

ned Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:49 pm