TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Stranded in seaside, or!!!
OG Velvet Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Looking for someone in the area who has a drivers side exhaust manifold for a 77 bus on a Sunday on the north Oregon coast.

Can anyone help a brother out?

Thanks!

busdaddy Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Too bad Karl isn't around anymore :cry:

williamM Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:28 pm

seaside is a nice place- could have been Quartzsite,Az-

What do you call some one with car trouble in Quartzsite? A citizen.

Sorry bout your problem- what happen to it ?

How different than a 73 is it?

Wasted youth Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:35 pm

I will look tomorrow, I presume you have a stock 2.0 litre?

notchboy Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:36 pm

busdaddy wrote: Too bad Karl isn't around anymore :cry:

Yeah no kidding. He would of been there with four to choose from.

Good luck, sorry I cant help. :cry:

airschooled Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks for posting your year, but could you give a little more information? Engines and heads changed through the years, and builders/previous owners change parts against what would have come stock. Do you have square or oval port heads? What year exhaust setup is installed?

williamM wrote:
What do you call some one with car trouble in Quartzsite? A citizen.

Glad I never had to "live there" on my many journeys through it. Always did like the free camping though…

Robbie

SGKent Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:39 pm

you are more likely to find a welder to fix the old one than a good used one. Nothing came up in classifieds using that zip code. The closest is you are 68 miles from Avery's Air Cooled in Kelso WA. They will probably have one but you will need to find a ride to them Monday or have one of your buddies bring it to you. Regardless be sure to get a photo first to be sure you have the correct side coming to you because they only fit one side. Don't forget to get the copper gaskets too.

OG Velvet Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:39 pm

All stock exhaust. Oval. Not the 79 only

WhirledTraveller Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:40 pm

williamM wrote:

How different than a 73 is it?

Pretty different. '73 has the exhaust manifold integrated into the heat exchanger. '77 has what's referred to as an "F-pipe" which feeds into a u-shaped "afterburner" and then the heat exchanger. Sounds like an F-pipe is what the OP is looking for.

I had one crack on me as well. They are made of stainless steel I believe and can last a long time, but can also fail catastrophically. Somebody reported success brazing one but in general replacement is the best option, used they should be in the $50-$75 range if you can find one...

Lil Lulu Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Avery's is in Kelso 70 some miles from you. Open Monday- likely to have what you need. I'm 30 miles away from you but won't be close to offer help until tomorrow. This is a complete pain in the ass weekend to travel on the North Coast.

PM me if I can help.

Wasted youth Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:36 pm

I'm sorry I cannot help you, none in my collection. :cry:

pickledBus Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:32 am

I have looked through this guys yard a few times he has lots of different parts and busses lying around. A little closer than Avery's.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/beavercreek-bobs-cloverdale

Phone: (503) 398-5869

sunnydog Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:47 am

PM from OP yesterday around noon says he got the part he needed. I got no additional details...

Alex6373 Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:52 am

I wish I was stranded in Sea Side Oregon ! :wink:

Randy in Maine Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:03 am

I have been stranded in a lot worse places over the years.

Damon23 Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Hope it all worked out. Stayed at the Gichigumi hotel in Seaside back in the summer of '90.