TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help me identify my 69 camper
banjobob809 Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:10 am

OK, long shot here. I owned a 69 type 2 camper the likes of which I have not seen since. It was purchased in Germany and brought to the US. The interior was plywood like so many westys of the time. What made it unique: the poptop was a fiberglass pan held up by 4 pieces of laminated plywood that folded into the top, and unfolded when you raised it. NO CANVAS. That was the most unique feature.

The interior had a 1 1 burner propane stove with the tank INSIDE, I think it had an icebox, no powered fridge. Closet. The seating was on either side facing the middle, you filled the middle with a piece of plywood and the cushions from the back of the chairs. On the back deck (over the engine) was a trifold cushion that you unfolded over the seats/plywood/cushion arrangement in front. It had a full size bed.

Again, probably German only. I sold it in Northern VA some time between 88 and 90. Any help identifying this rare beast would be great.

Brian Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:18 am

Sounds like a camper. Have any pictures?

busdaddy Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:33 am

banjobob809 wrote: the poptop was a fiberglass pan held up by 4 pieces of laminated plywood that folded into the top, and unfolded when you raised it. NO CANVAS. That was the most unique feature.

Arcomobil? http://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/data/books/brochures/1968-xx-arco.pdf

babysnakes Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:44 am

I just learned something new.

banjobob809 Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:12 am

that is it, arcomobile. thank you

Tcash Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:30 am

Graw

Campers