TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Routing fuel and electrical lines through firewall.
orwell84 Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:33 pm

I have a 73 bus with duel carberators. I have been searching for the correct routing of the fuel line and electrical lines through the firewall, but have not been able to find a good pic or diagram. I am installing a rebuilt engine and making sure I get this right. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks for the help.

aeromech Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:45 pm

This is a 1974 which was dual carbs but been converted to single. In this pic you can see the alternator wire going to the starter through the firewall

In this pic you can see the fuel line going through the left side firewall to an electric fuel pump. The black wires to the left are for the reverse lights.

Wires going to the voltage regulator

jtauxe Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:26 pm

The main thing to look out for is to use grommets in all those firewall penetrations.

busdaddy Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:20 pm

If it's a stock setup the fuel line goes through on the right side of the bellhousing between the upper engine bolt and the preheat bowl, it uses an odd D shaped grommet as the hole is a cutout in the tin on the edge of the bellhousing.

orwell84 Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:28 am

So really, I could route the fuel line through a convenient hole as long as I used the correct size grommet to protect it. My first choice would probably be one of the holes in the chassis rather than the firewall tin.

Thanks again for the help.