TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 73 turn signal problems
Drivefastakechances Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:41 pm

The signal lights won't come on. The dash indicator just stays on when switch is engaged. Wiring on switch looks good and unmolested.
Replaced the flasher relay but no change.
Hazards and high beam' also don't work.
73 westy.
Any input is appreciated.

VDubTech Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:11 pm

Reach under the dash at the 4 way switch. Snap the two halves back together. Secure with a zip tie. Done deal. Don't replace it with some aftermarket piece of shit. Use the original and put it back together. Zip tie will make it last forever.

Manfreds78bay Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Hazards and high beam sound like a blown fuse.

If your turn signals are not flashing and you have a known good relay in, you have a bad wire somewhere.

Drivefastakechances Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:45 pm

The Hazard switch was separated. After I found the little clicker BB off the floor and assembled it with a good zip tie everything worked. I did find a loose power lead as well.
I am having problems figuring out why my oil light wont work. I can get it to come on if I pull the light switch out one click if the key is off, so I know the light works.
I tried removing the sensor wire and grounding it to see if the light would come on, it did not.
I found the light itself is powered from a black wire coming off the headlight switch. It looks like it belongs there, but from looking at the wiring schematic I cant find it going through that switch.
Thanks again!

busdaddy Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:17 pm

The area surrounding where the light goes in (as well as the charge light and signal arrows) is powered by a black wire from the fuse box (not the light switch), that wire also powers the fuel gauge and fuse #11 where it comes from also powers the signals. Do the signals work now or just the hazards?

Drivefastakechances Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:05 pm

All the lights work!
The right turn signal relay is faster than the left though.
The left seems to be the one flashing at the right speed.
The black wire connected to the oil pressure light which is switched from
The first click of the headlight switch is a mistery to me.
It is only energized in that position with the key in the off position.
I really appreciate All the smart people here.

busdaddy Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Well that oil light is wrong and need to be fixed, I wouldn't leave the driveway with a non op oil light myself.
Is the wire plugged into the back of the bulb socket in the oil light hole blue with a green tracer? sometimes those sockets/wires get acidentally mixed up. Sounds like it's got the city light wire on it now.

The fast signal says one of the bulb sockets on the fast side has a bad ground, clean the sockets as well as the tabs on the body the brown wires connect to, front and rear.

Drivefastakechances Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:36 pm

That's exactly what it was. The city light and the oil light were in the wrong spot. Thanks man.