TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: opinions needed/wanted!!
KCrow Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:59 pm

Hello and thanks in advance for your thoughts/opinions.

I'm about to embark on a 2 month vacation and road trip throughout the western US. I'm looking at two Bay campers that are each a 7.5-8 on a scale of 10. One is a Sportsmobile, and the other a Westy. I've owned a Sporty prior, and really liked the penthouse.

So here's the question:

If all else is equal (both early bays, condition, price, engine, etc), which is more desirable as a resale when I'm done with the trip, if I decide to sell it? I'm aware the Sporty has much lower production numbers, but Westy's are more common/sought after.

Thanks.

Danwvw Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:07 pm

I am going to vote for the Sport, I have never had one but had a Westy and now a SunDial without the fiber Glass top. The Westy fiber glass top was nothing but trouble the little cot is useless except to collect junk on. Doesn't sleep well at all. Better to do away with the pop up! If you make it to Oregon were on the way!

airkooledchris Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:07 pm

If your going to flip it two months later, I wouldn't really worry much about the resale value, as your only going to get as much as you paid for it - assuming you don't overpay initially.

The Westfalia will bring in more money when you sell it - but you'll also be spending more to buy it so it's probably a wash.

Id just see which you can get a better deal on.

You may be able to better your re-sale value depending on where you buy it Vs where you sell it.

secretsubmariner Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Dude, don't sell it.

Manfreds78bay Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Danwvw wrote: I am going to vote for the Sport, I have never had one but had a Westy and now a SunDial without the fiber Glass top. The Westy fiber glass top was nothing but trouble the little cot is useless except to collect junk on. Doesn't sleep well at all. Better to do away with the pop up! If you make it to Oregon were on the way!

The later westys got rid of that cot and went with a solid bunk that sleeps two easily.

Danwvw Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:21 pm

Yeah, I know! The late Westy is much better. But For a real camper the Vanagon with the front seat's that swivel are the way to go! But I just have a old bus SunDial camper with no stove no fridge and no overhead bed and love it too.

Gregg in the 603 Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:33 pm

The late Westy has the swivel chair. I'd go Westy with the full size bunk bed up top.

timvw7476 Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:45 pm

just get the westy, reason being plenty of van chassis had "sport-whatever
decals on them back in the day.....unless you want to deal with every
idiot in the tri-state area at sales time describing the sportmobile over the phone.....and I refuse to vote.

ChrisFred Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:42 pm

Sportys are much more rare, but that doesn't mean it is as desirable. Westys are notorious for being the perfect camper, and I personally believe a 2 week excursion won't matter on which ever one you choose. I would pick the one that appears to be in better condition. It will bring more money and will be a quick flip.

Why own it for 2 weeks? Take care of it and love it!

notchboy Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:59 pm

I like Sportsmobile. I do.

But no one knows about them. If you want value and selling power to the stupid that will buy your bus later for more? Westfalia is a brand they will know, find on google and know as being a part of VW. :wink:

Simple as that. Sportsmobile was made to compete against Westfalia. Most "other" camper conversions were made to do so. Westfalia set the trend. Truth - period.

If you had asked is Sportsmobile a good camper to buy - Id of been all - yes mama and its a good bus to get. But when stacked against the bar. The Bar wins. 8) 8) 8)

:wink:

Brian Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:21 pm

secretsubmariner wrote: Dude, don't sell it.

Sage79 Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:15 am

I have a '73 Sporty and a '79 Westy. As mentioned by other posts, the late Westfalia is the gold standard for campers. The quality and layout are tops. The Sportsmobile is nice too but my layout is a pain with a really small opening to enter the slider door due to the 'fridge, the back seat is a pain to open, so is the jump seat, and the cabinetry is particle board, not plywood like Westfalia.

That being said, any bus is better than no bus so buy the one that finds you.

TweedLinn Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:29 am

KCrow wrote:

So here's the question:

If all else is equal (both early bays, condition, price, engine, etc), which is more desirable as a resale when I'm done with the trip, if I decide to sell it? I'm aware the Sporty has much lower production numbers, but Westy's are more common/sought after.

Thanks.

Everyone seems to be skipping the fact that its an early Westy... That cot up there seems completely pointless to me. A late westy with all the fixins, swivels, beds, etc: sweet. But IN MY OPINION early Westys are a waste...

Nothing like laying up in that double bed in the sportsmobile penthouse (or late westy top bunk I suppose). Of course, as you can see from my picture, I'm a bit biased to the sporstmobile, otherwise I wouldnt have even commented at all probably... :)

But you also only asked about value, not which camper is better, and I'm sure Notchboy, and the others, are right. Strictly from a monetary standpoint, I suppose the Westy would take it... But I don't like that either, I mean Sportsmobile is way more rare, so why shouldnt they be worth more?!?! **cough cough drive the value of mine up cough cough :twisted: **

KCrow Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:54 am

Best reply so far, thanks. Just to clear things up, I'm not looking to flip for a profit, just to break even. If I profit even a little, cool. But it's not my intent. I"m just looking for a roadtrip vehicle. I'd love to keep it, and it's quite possible I will.

The reasoning behind my desire for the Sporty is the top "penthouse" bunk in an early bay. Does anyone have any experience with a conversion to remove the bunk and make the top a full bed?

[quote="notchboy"]I like Sportsmobile. I do.

But no one knows about them. If you want value and selling power to the stupid that will buy your bus later for more? Westfalia is a brand they will know, find on google and know as being a part of VW. :wink:

Simple as that. Sportsmobile was made to compete against Westfalia. Most "other" camper conversions were made to do so. Westfalia set the trend. Truth - period.

If you had asked is Sportsmobile a good camper to buy - Id of been all - yes mama and its a good bus to get. But when stacked against the bar. The Bar wins. 8) 8) 8)

notchboy Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:27 am

Skewed toward earlies. Early Westfalia design leaves a lot to be desired. Late 60's design carried over from the Split era was adequate. The pop tOp on any early Westfalia is useless for sleeping. I would prefer a turret top design over the regular pop top - for the simple fact that a turret top would be rarer - as they both serve the same function, allow you to stand and change your chonies :lol:

A Sportsmobile fitted with a Westy interior sounds like what "you" want :-k

That would be cool. Or a Westfalia with a continental kit :shock: 8)

Dont think Im hating at all on any one choice. I love them all and they all have their place. There are lots of them on the road around here - Westy, Rivi, Sportsmobile - as a testament to their popularity. If I had space and $ Id own a fine example of each.

Sage79 Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:54 am

I don't see where the question is limited to early bays--but if that's true, then the Sportsmobile wins for the full bed up top since the lower layouts are probably pretty similar.

KCrow Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Both were turds. The search continues.....

I've pretty much settled on the Westy. Thanks for all the feedback.

notchboy Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:05 pm

Good luck brother!