TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I'm now water cooled! Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
graveshaker Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:34 pm

My water cooled swap is now complete. I initially sent the buggy over to get the rear end raised and somehow I end up with a new engine, Fox rear shocks, re-fabricated engine cage, longer torsion bars, gauges and a lighter wallet.
The motor is a new build race prepped VW 1.6 rabbit MK1 motor. It was built to race in the Torc Off Road racing circuit. The motor currently has 13.1 compression big valve head, Alpha Romeo lifters and a host of other go fast parts. Currently making 180hp.

All in all I am more than happy with the outcome. The power difference is night and day and the torque is incredible. The motor red lines at 9,000 and raps very fast thanks to the 7lb flywheel.

Before, air cooled and sagging.......

Engine mock up........

Gauges waiting to go in........

And done.......

A little video of the completed motor running. The sound came out horrible with my cell phone..........

dowha Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:22 pm

LOOKING GOOD =D> WATER COOLED " VW" :!:

Brian Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:14 pm

niceee.

I too have a garage full of kitty litter.

earthquake Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 am

Whats up with the jet cover extension on the DCOE carb? Is that so you can use long jet holders and help with floatbowl slosh? I have never seen that before.

Casey

winchin73blazinbaja Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:37 am

I have someone that should be coming to buy my motor from me in mid september for a grand then i am going to get mine done! :)

winchin73blazinbaja Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:38 am

your buggy isnt a bottom bouncer anymore :( now who is going to smooth the trail out for us?!?!?!

graveshaker Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:49 am

earthquake wrote: Whats up with the jet cover extension on the DCOE carb? Is that so you can use long jet holders and help with floatbowl slosh? I have never seen that before.

Casey

I have no idea. This is the first Weber I ever owned.

graveshaker Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:50 am

winchin73blazinbaja wrote: I have someone that should be coming to buy my motor from me in mid september for a grand then i am going to get mine done! :)

Great! I hope everything works out.

winchin73blazinbaja Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:53 am

As do i! might have a different offer from someone for all of my goodies for $1500 :) i sure hope so if that is the case then maybe I can get started on it early september

2trackrat Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:29 pm

Looks good I had a 1.8l 8v in my buggy before. I was running the csi fuel injection system but could not get it running right so I put my old 1641 back in. I'm thinking about rebuilding it and putting a carb and header on it and try again or go ecotec.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1022320327...=604%2C453

I hope the link works I have not yet mastered posting photos on somba

graveshaker Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:01 am

2trackrat wrote: Looks good I had a 1.8l 8v in my buggy before. I was running the csi fuel injection system but could not get it running right so I put my old 1641 back in. I'm thinking about rebuilding it and putting a carb and header on it and try again or go ecotec.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1022320327...=604%2C453

I hope the link works I have not yet mastered posting photos on somba

In stock form the 1.8 will push 90hp so it will be an upgrade to the 1641. I would put a carb on it and put it back in. The carb would clean up the wiring too. My builder has an extra carb intake setup if you're interested.

winchin73blazinbaja Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:40 pm

should have a $1500 check in the mail soon for all of my stuff then I am going to go get the motor setup! I CANNOT WAIT!!!! that thing sounds sick!

ORANGECRUSHer Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:56 am

Please explain how the switches and lights work on your guage panel.

I just fabbed a cavernous guage pod for my buggy, but I'm having second thoughts about using it now. After I chucked my new seats in I noticed how little room I'm going to have.

winchin73blazinbaja Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:59 am

I also am wondering where you have the start switch at because i noticed you did not use the key to start the buggy. do you have a push button start switch? if so I want one because I would feel like i am in a race car :)

graveshaker Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:28 am

winchin73blazinbaja wrote: I also am wondering where you have the start switch at because i noticed you did not use the key to start the buggy. do you have a push button start switch? if so I want one because I would feel like i am in a race car :)

The push button is on the shift console.

ORANGECRUSHer Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:01 am

I put a PB in the baja and love it. The ole VW ignition never wanted to make contact so now I don't have to bend me key up trying to make the contact.

winchin73blazinbaja Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:09 am

how much did your electric fans end up costing you?

graveshaker Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:36 pm

winchin73blazinbaja wrote: how much did your electric fans end up costing you?

The fans where $59 at Advance auto. Toggles were $7.00. I have the fans wired separately.

graveshaker Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Just got back from taking my sons to my friends property. He built a motocross track in his field. My forearms are numb.

BUGGUTZ Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:56 pm

When are you bringing that sweet ride back to St Helen area? I wanna see it in person.