TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 3 Low Back Seats
jecontreras14 Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:35 pm

I have a set of low backs. Problem one of the side brackets came loose. Does anyone have pix of the seat frame so i can get an idea how to reattach. Is it as simple as nuts and screws or is it going to be a weld job

Squareback_Joe Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:45 am

Ok since I'm on my phone I can't seem to copy my photo link but if you look at my profile and pics you can see the seat frame

jecontreras14 Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:55 am

SJ
thank you for replying. cant really see how it is connected if you can provide some details on that i would appreciate it.

Something funny i noticed comparing your pix and my seats... Mine dont have the adjuster on the side of the upper... Any thoughts on this

James

Squareback_Joe Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:38 am

The seat back is on a single pivot, where the know is on the lower section of the seat. The lever on the side of the backrest is the release to push the back forward to allow people to climb in and out of the back. As for what year they came from I am not sure of.

EasternNotch Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:48 am

jecontreras14 wrote: I have a set of low backs. Problem one of the side brackets came loose. Does anyone have pix of the seat frame so i can get an idea how to reattach. Is it as simple as nuts and screws or is it going to be a weld job

Not sure what "brackets" you speak of. Are you talking about the chrome trim plates on a 66/67 seat? This just hold on with some tabs and are really secured by the rolled pins which hold the seat adjustment knob on and the cap on the other side. If you are talking about the seat back itself there are support bars on the top and bottom which are held by rather weak welds which are known to break- will have to disassemble and have re-welded.

jecontreras14 wrote: SJ
thank you for replying. cant really see how it is connected if you can provide some details on that i would appreciate it.

Something funny i noticed comparing your pix and my seats... Mine dont have the adjuster on the side of the upper... Any thoughts on this

James

You have the early low backs which have a cable underneath which release the seat back when the door is open. His are the later version with the release on the seat back.

Here is a picture of a 66 low-back upper and you can see the lower support bar that may need to be re-welded (make sure this is done properly because it also secures the seat cover to the frame with little triangle shaped barbs which need proper orientation to work right)

jecontreras14 Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:09 pm

Eastern,
Thank you... Yeah I had to do some disecting and found the weld breaks. got it put back together but I used a couple of u-bolts which works and is a good temp fix without have to do a complete redo... I should take pictures...

Please give more info on this cable release... from your description it sounds like it is connected to the door and the door operates this cable... I am sure i got this wrong... Let me know