TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Starter motor - noise after starting
dormo72 Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:02 pm

Van starts fine but there is a grinding noise after starting as if the starter is running on. This only lasts a second or two. Any ideas on this and how to investigate / fix?

I do also sometimes get a situation where I turn the key and nothing happens. Usually starts turning over after 2 or 3 tries though so it's not a big issue. Not sure if these 2 issues are related.

Thanks for any advice!

Brian Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Probably a short in the wire. I would check your harness to see if the wires are okay.

aeromech Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:47 pm

Might be that the starter isn't disengaging the flywheel like it should. The starter might need to be cleaned and lubed or just replaced. Be sure to change out the bushing in the bell housing at the same time.

busdaddy Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:13 pm

Aging ignition switches also stick on sometimes.

dormo72 Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:12 am

busdaddy wrote: Aging ignition switches also stick on sometimes.

Thanks for your reply, might try to check this out before removing the starter. How do you suggest testing this out?

1967250s Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Easiest is turn on ignition and jump starter with screwdriver across the terminals. Be sure brake is on, out of gear, chocked wheels. You'll be then close to starter an hear better what is going on.

dormo72 Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:00 pm

1967250s wrote: Easiest is turn on ignition and jump starter with screwdriver across the terminals. Be sure brake is on, out of gear, chocked wheels. You'll be then close to starter an hear better what is going on.

Great thanks. Will give it a go. Is it dangerous - i.e.. could I get a belt from the starter - i.e.. don't need any specially insulated screwdriver?

busdaddy Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:46 pm

Here's SGKent's famous photo:

You won't get a shock, especially if your screwdriver has a plastic handle. You want to do the test shown with the white arrow, as already mentioned MAKE SURE! the bus is in neutral as you will get run over if not. Also beware of touching other things when touching the large threaded lug as it has constant battery power, that can cause some real heat and sparks and if you bridge to something like the fuel tank outlet you can only imagine how that will end.