TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 4 Engine Rebuild After-Action Reports
HerrMahnenschmidt Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:21 am

I would like to propose a thread where those who have done Type 4 engine rebuilds, and who are not full-time experienced mechanics, post a short follow-up of how your rebuilt engine is doing, and what issues you have run into afterward.

Don't be shy if your engine had a catastrophic mushroom-cloud meltdown. I/we can learn from mistakes too.

Thanks.

Alex6373 Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:58 am

Hello ,I have just done my t4 1800 and so far it runs great .
I am not a expert however I have done a internship with my grandfather who was a mechanic so I guess I have some knowledge of what to look for !.
I think any one who isn't afraid to ask stupid questions here on the Samba and feel the rath from some can do this .
Having a few book's or manuals can be a great asset too!
There are some very helpfull people here, and I owe them lots for there !.

Tcash Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:43 am

Even the experienced started inexperienced.
This book is a great place to start.

gacnurse Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:06 pm

Did the top end with new parts, got new kads from kaddie shack, drove down 395, two mountain passes over 8000 feet. Thing runs great. First type 4 ive ever done.

sonofamitch Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:21 pm

I built my entire engine myself (aside from cylinder head work) in my garage last year. The only problem I ran into was low oil pressure but that is all squared away now. My bus now has over 4k on the engine and it's only been running since May. I drove it to Colorado from Chicago when I moved two months ago. Since then it's been pretty much all over the Colorado Rockies. I've gone up numerous mountain passes and even to the top of Mt Evans at 14,000ft. I suggest reading Tom Wilson's "How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Aircooled Engine." Read it cover to cover and don't skip over any steps. I'm about to start my second type 4 build. I'm sure my engine won't last as long as a reputable builder's engine but I have fun wrenching on it and it saves me a ton of cash. Good luck.

HerrMahnenschmidt Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks all for the contributions. Keep them coming :D

I completed the assembly of my short block this evening, after a LONG delay trying to source all the best-proper parts. Slow and easy seems to be the key; that, and reading the steps through five times before touching anything.

timvw7476 Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:11 pm

Here's one for you from me first ever T 4 rebuild, check the welch plugs,
like re-stake and epoxy, or cut threads & insert aluminum plug kit......
first time you are out in the boonies semi-stuck you have to rock your
rig to get out and, case expands a bit more than it ever has before,
days later your welch plugs begin to weep and you have to pull it to address
the leaks. you are at the stage right now with your shortblock, have full
access so make sure they are SECURE.