TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Making new seats.
kraftdurchfreude Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:17 am

So I have been thinking about this for some time now and wanted to post a question to see if anyone else has attempted something similar. Has anyone made their own replacement front seats? I am a tall guy at 6'6" and I need every bit of room I can get inside the cabin, so I would really like to make a lower profile front seat. Not with springs but with newer foam. I have the original frame to base it off of, and was thinking of a wooden base and leather top using re-used leather off an old couch or something to keep it looking a little closer to the outside (patina/old). So has anyone attempted making a seat for theirs and not just a reproduction or stock looking seat. Also any ideas on what would fit the old split window style too would be welcomed!
BTW, my original seats are roached and not salvageable.

Manfred58sc Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:10 pm

early nineties Ford Ranger 1/2 2/3 bench seat is a great fit and gives you slider option and both seats flip. I'm 6'6 280 and now I can drive my sc w/out distortion and pain.

SLMD61 Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:42 pm

How do I know if my 67 panel should have a full or split front bench seat?

dmuis Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:04 pm

SLMD61 wrote: How do I know if my 67 panel should have a full or split front bench seat?

All non walk through models after July 30 1962 (VIN 971,550) had a 1/3 2/3 split front seats.

Take a photo of your front seat stands and post it.

kraftdurchfreude Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:47 am

Manfred58sc wrote: early nineties Ford Ranger 1/2 2/3 bench seat is a great fit and gives you slider option and both seats flip. I'm 6'6 280 and now I can drive my sc w/out distortion and pain.

I have a walk through actually, so it would have to be two buckets I suppose.

Thanks for the reply.

Manfred58sc Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:31 am

The stock seats on a walk through are o.k. for us tall guys, but not comfortable on a long drive. I used 80's Mitsubishi truck bucket seats w/o the rail and that worked very well (in my 64). Saturn car seats from the 90's are very low as well and may work for you. I hate banging my head on the roof when I get in!!!

Derek Cobb Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:34 am

Look at seats from a Porsche 914. Very short and they push further back. Gives you both more headroom and legroom.

kraftdurchfreude Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:47 am

Derek Cobb wrote: Look at seats from a Porsche 914. Very short and they push further back. Gives you both more headroom and legroom.

Ooh, I like that idea a lot! I'll look into it.