TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 1 sedan cooling tin questions.
Superman74 Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:40 pm

So I have lost my sled tins for my 73 super. all i have left is the doghouse cooler and its tins (less hoover bit) and the upper cylinder tins. I do not have a thermostat though I do have the bracket and I have the flaps in a box some where. I no longer have heater boxes and was wondering if I should run the Air deflector tins along with "super cooling tins" and industrial tins as well. I just do not know what the best solution would be. just a street sedan.

ALB Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:26 am

The smart, or best solution is to locate all the cooling tin pieces the engine originally had. They work as a system and came on the engine for a reason, and you're not doing the engine any favors by leaving anything off.

Superman74 Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:26 am

understandable. One of the sleds is a total loss from getting crushed, the other got thrown out. Also with J tubes I am told industrial sleds are the better option. Are these coupled with the "super cool tins?" are the deflector tin's(which I have) used no matter what?? and I presume the "super cool tins" just direct the airflow down over the push rod tubes and can be used in conjunction with the industrial tins.

75smith Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:14 am

industrial tins work with sled tins, cool tins work on a type 3 with a different cooling system

cool tins will not cool down the engine anymore then sled tins

do not run the square air deflector tins with cool tins

the best and only thing I recommend is run type 1 stuff on a type 1, type 3 on a type 3

VWCOOL Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:22 am

^ what he said

ignore the marketing hype of 'cool tins'.. to cut a long story short, type 1 and 3 have different fan designs and therefore different cooling system design and plumbing

andk5591 Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:22 am

If you cant find the industrial tins, you can make deflectors to do the same thing that attach to the stock sleds. I did this for our buggy.

vwracerdave Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 am

Throw the "super cool" tin in the trash and use the stock tins. You can bend up some scrap metal and build your own industrial tins. The engine will run without the thermostat, just wire the flaps open. I don't have a "Hoover Bit" on any of my engines. I just fill the gap with a scrap of metal. You can tack weld or pop rivet to the shroud and it will work fine.

gt1953 Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:39 am

Go to the classifieds, search tins, sheet metal etc. you will find everything you need to have the proper cooling needed.

Superman74 Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:53 am

thank you fore the info guys

mikedjames Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:07 am

Use a hammer and a chunk of pine as an anvil and your crushed tin can be whole again...

Juanito84 Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:25 pm

The original equipment was on there for a reason. Sleds were used on Type 1's since the beginning. Yes, it can be modified to be better. But don't think cheap aftermarket stuff is better.