TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Differing table sizes
localboy Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:07 pm

I have two OG tables but they are different sizes.

Large one 12.5" X 17.25" with leg mounted in the center
Came in a bunch of parts w/ my '66 Westy and the hinges lined up perfectly with the wood panel

Smaller one 10" X 16" with the leg mounted to one side, left
Came w/ a jump seat & ice box from what appears to be a '67, as they have the later handles/locks

So what's the story?

[/u]

velvetgreen Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:27 pm

the smaller one is from an early bay westy

BarryL Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:29 pm

velvetgreen wrote: the smaller one is from an early bay westy

That ^^^^

Could he move the leg to the middle and mount it by the reefer and it would be the same as '65-'67.

localboy wrote: ...appears to be a '67, as they have the later handles/locks.

Bays have the later style but went black not gray at some early point. How tall is the icebox?

localboy Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Ah. OK, thanks. Makes sense, I guess. The leg is shorter than the other one. Now I wonder if the icebox and jumpseat were from an early Bay also. :? I bought them out of the bus and was told they were from a '67. The jumpseat fits fine on my walk-thru though. Guess I'll just move the leg to the center and use it. The table is sturdy and the formica/leg etc are fine.

crofty Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:51 pm

If the ice box has a sink, it's a bay window. If the jumpseat you are talking about is removable and has 4 legs it's bay too.

localboy Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:01 pm

No, Crofty. No legs and no sink but the top was redone with plain gray laminate so who the F knows. The seat fit perfectly except the handle/lock, as mentioned. Also did not have the proper backrest material, baby poop yellow. It has to be re-built as the base/box is worn out but it even fit perfectly at the wall where the bolt fits.

BarryL Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Post a pic of the reefer and how tall it is.

localboy Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:16 pm

BarryL Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:55 am

Looks to be an authentic mid to late '67 icebox with correct shelf and pump. It even has the correct gray pulls. Do you have the cushion for between the jump seat and the icebox?

srfndoc Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:09 am

Looks to be modded a bit. See how there is no drawer (other than the front piece) and it's hinged to open with the main icebox door.

BarryL Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:20 am

srfndoc wrote: See how there is no drawer (other than the front piece) and it's hinged to open with the main icebox door.

Hey, yeah. What's up with that? What's attaching it?

localboy Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:53 am

The icebox box is totally dis-assembled. It is literally in 5 pieces. I put it "together" for the photos. There is no drawer, just the front and the top was redone at some point w/ a plain, light gray laminate. I have the plastic water tank too, although it is broken, disgsting and useless. I would not put any water from it anywhere. :lol:

I have the correct base cushion for the jumpseat in baby-poop yellow. I do not have the proper seat back cover however and am totally missing the cushion that goes between the seat and the icebox. '

My intention is to rebuild both using new Grand Isle Maple laminate I bought and new plywood. I even have a complete roll of the proper edging I bought yrs ago. When I'm done, I'll put the extra up for sale here.

When I'm done only the purist aka Nazis will be able to tell. I'm torn on using the old icebox. I have a new 12/110 cooler that is more useful and efficient for camping. I might just hide it inside the box. Or I'll dis-assemble it and use the guts inside the OG icebox. I'll decide when I get there.

I am in need of some baby-poop material, but Major Woody no longer sells it. I have been unable to find a good solution. Most vinyl is close but not the same.

The bus is all original paint w/ minimal rust and I intend to keep it that way. It's gonna be a preservation, not a "restoration". I've been on here (TheSamba) a long while but took a "sabbatical" for a few yrs for career, family, life...but I'm back.

I'm jumping in to the Westy w/ both feet; I need a new project. Thanks for the info on the tables. And if anyone know a source for the baby poop vinyl, pass it on. I need enough for what I mentioned, minimum. The rest is in nice shape, considering.