TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wheel hubs/drums for splittie
Greatballsoffire57 Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:10 pm

What's the difference between pre 1963 and post 1963 drums, front and back. They are listed separately on the parts websites?

Eric&Barb Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:30 pm

You can find the parts manuals here:

http://oacdp.org/

The short answer is the brake shoes are wider, increasing surface area by 20%.

Greatballsoffire57 Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks. The reason I'm asking is because I have a 1958 panel van and it needs new hubs. The front end has a ball joint lowered beam and I am not sure what hubs I should get. I don't know if the fronts would be later hubs.

I assume the backs are original so if I measure the depth of the front hubs and compare it with the back ones would I know if the front ones were changed?

Are early and late hubs interchangeable? Is there any chance the rears could also be replaced with later ones?

Eric&Barb Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:16 pm

If it is ball joint the front end is 1968 or later. Drums or discs??

Remove rear drum and read part number. Check part number against the parts manual....

Not sure what you mean "hubs". Early 1955-63 and late 1964-67 rear axles have different parts as you can see in the parts manual. Just the rear axle nuts holding on the drums changed in the beginning of 1964 production from 36 mm socket used to 46 mm socket. The only major VW only part used between the two was the upper axle.

There was also a 1963 ONLY one ton rear axles setup and used parts of both early/late, but also had one year only parts to boot, and used 36 mm axle nuts.

Z Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:15 pm

It seems that 'hub' is a term often used to refer to 'drums'. I have noticed it several times recently.