TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1973 Westy Campmobile Restore 1.7 Dual Carb
cameronhoule Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Okay.. So I picked this baby up over the weekend. She's been sitting in a field about 20 min from where I live since 1993. Not bad for $1000 though!
Only problem was pulling it with my girlfriend behind the wheel. Got about a mile down the road with her freaking out so I pulled over and left the bus there till I could get a buddy to help me in the morning.

I picked up a battery to see if she would turn over and she did!

Took the top wire out of the distributer to check for a spark and got some small sparks!

At this point I'm thinking she might start up so I run to the gas station and put about 5 gallons in and try to fire her up but no luck..
Took the fuel line off the carbs and nothing.

I'm thinking it's the fuel pump.. I'm pretty sure these busses have the mechanical fuel pumps! My other bus has a electric so I had been having a little trouble finding it..

I also read that you need to remove the engine to get these pumps out?? Is that true?

I've got a lot of work to do but I'm pretty pumped to get this thing on the road and fixed up!

[/img]

secretsubmariner Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:55 pm

For the fuel pump check the driver's side frame rail, toward the rear tire. I can't remember if yours will be on the inner or outer side of the rail. And if its a 73 I assume (although maybe foolishly) that you have a type 4 motor. In which case, no, you would not need to remove the engine to check on the fuel pump. Can you post some pictures of your bus and the engine? :P

How to post photos:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

EDIT:
Damnit, you beat me to it! Looks like a great starting point!

cameronhoule Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:04 pm

Just got some pictures up. I'm at work now but when I get off I'll have to tale some more pictures of the engine. In the picture I posted the air box ins't on the bus. But I do have it. When I was hooking up those pull straps I found a little magnet box under the bus with a old rusted key in it.. Thought it was kinda cool!

whatdoesthisbuttondo? Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Looks like an awesome score, congrats! With some love that could be a great bus, the body seems to be in super good shape. Looks like an early 73 with the mustard coloured vinyl. Nice that you got the child's cot along with it! The previous owners were clearly pretty hard on cabinet handles :P

busdaddy Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:29 pm

The mechanical pump can be easily removed with the engine in place, you need more service manuals than the Chilton one as you are finding out. That said a bus that's been sitting will need the tank removed for cleaning and all the rubber fill and vent lines replaced, you'll also want to install a new flywheel seal as well as most of the external engine gaskets and remove the tin to get the rodent nests out, maybe pulling the engine isn't such a bad idea afterall?

Or get it running as is and have a leaky unreliable PITA vehicle that strands you every week, just make sure you bring along a big fire extingusher :wink:

Millennium Falcon Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:00 pm

whatdoesthisbuttondo? wrote: The previous owners were clearly pretty hard on cabinet handles :P
Ha, that is funny!
Please do not just try to fire it up as is, you will do far more damage than good. Listen to busdaddy.

Tcash Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Might want to change the oil before you fire it up. If it has been sitting the oil may be slug on the bottom and look fine on the stick. Hate to see you ruin the motor.

Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pronunciation (Samba) English

Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
Volkswagen Type 2 Bus M-Plate Decoder
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

cameronhoule Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:52 pm

Okay so this is where I should start?

Change the oil
Remove and clean out gas tank
Change all fuel lines
Change vacuum hoses
New sparks?
As far as the rodents and nests go what should I be removing and cleaning out?

Anything else guys?

Appreciate the help!
Looking forward to getting the bus running then I'll worry about cleaning it up!

korfmach Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:10 am

Depending on how long it's been sitting, you'll probably want to change the spark plug wires. The distributor wear items (points, distributor) are also likely to be rusty and/or non-functioning.

Remove the intake airbox and clean out all the mouse nests, etc. that are probably in there and replace the air filter. While you're at it, check the little vacuum hoses that run to/from the carbs and distributor, and check the warm-air induction flap and associated vacuum lines.

Check the thermostat with a heat gun and see if the air flaps move. If you've got the engine out, clean all the dirt, grease and crud off the cooling fins and blow out the oil cooler.

Then, fix all the other stuff you found broken while doing everything else we've all suggested! It's 41 years old--just about everything made out of plastic, rubber or fiber is probably just about dust.

gacnurse Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:57 am

I would clean the oil cooler, rodents and dirt go there, and check the heater boxes. Go ahead and ask me how i know this

cameronhoule Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:34 pm

I appreciate help everyone!

So far I've only been able to change the oil and clean out air filter box and put in a new air filter.

I sold my DD so I have until the 29th to get this thing up and running and reliable before I start school.

When I get off work tonight I'll post some pictures of the engine because I feel like I have some hoses missing and I have a few hoses that I'm not sure where they go...
I have Friday, Saturday and Sunday off this week so I'm going to be spending those three days getting stuff done!

To remove the tank do I have to drop the engine? I don't have a garage so I work on my bus in the street behind my house..
This is my first time working on a bus so I'll probably have some dumb questions along the way lol (Sorry in advance)

List of stuff to do so far:
Replace rubber fill and vent lines
Install a new flywheel seal
Replace external engine gaskets
Remove the tin to get the rodent nests out
Change the spark plug wires
Check points and distributor

As far as all the seals and lines and everything are those things I'll have to order online?

Anything else I should do this weekend to get the bus running?

Thanks!
Cam