TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hideaway Bugpack too restrictive? Page: 1, 2  Next
Motor60 Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:44 pm

I have 1776 with merged header. Will Bugpack hideaway be too restrictive for my motor? I want loud but not raspy

catbox Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:53 pm

Just be aware that they do not fit with rear disc brakes.
I tried and it did not work out.

[email protected] Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:08 pm

not too restrictive, but if you want loud you should find a different muffler.

Motor60 Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:12 pm

Had a 2 chamber flowmaster back when I had my 1600 single port. I want that type of sound

Motor60 Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:07 pm

Anybody ever used a spin tech on a vw motor? Sounds way better than flowmaster without the drone inside

Motor60 Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:34 am

Anybody have sound clips of the hideaway? Can't find any on YouTube.

bgs Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:41 pm

I've run many different muffs on my old 4.3 v-6 from Gibson
to different Flowmasters, to a Hooker Max Flow, to a custom
built Spintech, to my favorite which is a Flowtech Afterburner
in 3". There is no drone from a Flowtech. It transfers both
negative and positive exhaust waves with really good
efficiency. They have a unique design regarding the inlet
tube, to the chambered areas, to the out tube. It sounds
pretty decent, comes in off set 2", 2.25" 2.25", and 3".
Best of all, they are cheap. I've had mine on for at least
9 years and it's still holding together. I would think on
a VW the sound might be interesting at the very least.

There's all sorts you tube vids with a Flowtech on different
size engines but no VW's. >

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-50320flt/overview/

bgs Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Motor60 wrote: Anybody have sound clips of the hideaway? Can't find any on YouTube.

modok Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:07 pm

bgs wrote: There is no drone from a Flowtech.

oh yeah! My favorite also.
the afterburner is the same design as Flo-pro(ritpoff?)
Also same design as the nameless ones I buy from the local shop.

I call it a "three chamber dogleg" muffler.

Motor60 Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:37 pm

Thx for the clip. That doesn't sound too bad. Might buy that. And if I don't like it I'll sell it

Motor60 Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:21 pm

I bought the empi merged header system with hideaway exhaust...perfect fit...good sound....Recently purchased a Berg header that fits with thermostat and stock tins. Now, my hideaway exhaust doesn't fit because the muffler hits the sled tins and if I move it over or had it modified with new pipe, it would rub on tire...

So, I blew more money and bought the hideaway for the Non-merged header because its supposed to work with heater boxes...so I assumed if it fits with heater boxes, it should fit no problem with sled tins and industrial tins....Nope, because the non merged muffler is mounted on an angle and exit pipe goes across the valve cover, this pipe now hits the inner wall where the fender attaches to the body....

Im under the impression that my header flange is not where its supposed to be..or they just don't fit with empi stuff...Anyone else had this issue? This is a Gene Berg header also known as their Phoenix header...

Im not trying to buy another muffler system...I really liked the way my bugpack hideaway sounded....BUT, any suggestions would be appreciated...Im not into the phat boy sound...and already had an A-1 Bullet muffler too, which was way loud....I guess I can always go to Tiger and ask him to modify my hideaway...

I was also considering a spintech...Tiger installed a flowmaster on my single port 1600, wwaaaaayyy back in the day, like in 1999...it sounded great...but was looking for lil more quiet...

ps2375 Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:37 pm

Why would you think that an EMPI muffler would fit a Berg header? They may or may not use the same flange, but that is all they would have in common.

67rustavenger Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:24 pm

Why not just buy the muffler that you like and have an exhaust shop custom fabricate a "Hide away" system that fits?
I have one on my car and it can't possibly be mistaken for a factory production line piece, as the exit is out from under the left fender.
Just a suggestion to remedy your issue with muffler fitment.
Funny thing about this thread is, that you originally wanted it loud.
Now you want it quiet. What happened? Did you get tired of the ringing ears after a long drive?
Good Luck.

Motor60 Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:27 pm

yes!! i was warned by Tiger himself that my A-1 bullet would be loud and annoying if i drive it everyday, which I do....I didnt listen and bought a stainless $300 bullet and used it for a few months before i bought vintage speed...and the quiet was nice...and it made my bug a sleeper...stock look but plenty power. and i could hear my radio....so id like to keep it low key.

now i have 2 hideaways that i probably cant use...still have my vintage speed put away but it doesnt fit with sled tins...i would totally put my VS exhaust back on if i could use sled tins...ive gotten used to listening to my radio on fwy...
is there a muffler out there that is comparable to a stinger with baffle?? that was perfect sound too

jpaull Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:32 pm

Rustavenger has a good idea.

Why settle for the same production line exhaust that everyone else has? You have 3+ exhausts that aren't what you want, cause they are not made by you.

If you put together all the features you want, you can build your own perfect exhaust.

Sound, Heat or no Heat, stainless or not, where to exit, diameter, flanges, etc.

Sawz-all, Welder, and a grinder and you can make your own. You don't need anything fancy to make some seriously fancy exhaust.

If you like Stainless, and you like Spintech, here is "How To: Make Your Own Bulletproof Stainless Exhaust" for your Volkswagen. All finished on a Saturday with basic tools:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641441&highlight=spin

flat4olsen Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:13 pm

You can use your VS exhaust with sled tin. Just need a bit of massaging :-)

Multi69s Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:11 am

flat4olsen wrote: You can use your VS exhaust with sled tin. Just need a bit of massaging :-)

I see a wear hole in the future with this setup. I'd prefer to see about a 1/4" clearance between parts.

Motor60 Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:41 am

Mr Paul!! My man!! Last night found a video of you starting an engine in your living room lol. And guess what? You had a spintech on it!! Nice vid!
If I knew how to weld, I would totally make my own exhaust. And that way I can use and change mufflers as often as I want until I find what I like. But I don't have those skills.
Do you have anymore clips of that spintech you had? I also thought about having a shop butcher my hideaway and use that bugpack muffler and do a custom fit. Anyone have pics of their modified exhaust?

jpaull Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:04 am

Ahhhh you found the Dyno video good! The spintech is similar too a flowmaster but not as tin can pop pop sounding. One of the keys is to make sure to use 2.5" muffler and 2.5" pipe for a deeper tone. Larger pipe "slows down" the exhaust speed and gives lower note.

Welding is fun, you should get a cheap wire feed for under $100 and just play around with it. Get some clean metal, and experiment. After awhile, you will feel confident enough to do your own exhaust. The key, is to buy the bends, cut the sections, and tack it on the car. Then pull it all off, and you can finish weld the rest of it comfortably. (welding upside down is no fun with sparks coming down, cause no matter how much gear you wear there is always welding crap that finds its way to your skin).

Here is another clip of the spintech on the 1679:
https://youtu.be/q_65MFiEVoA

I added it to the original how to thread also.

Jeff

Motor60 Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:14 pm

Is there a single quiet pack made for merged header? All empi ones are 1 3/8" piping. Isn't that too small for a 1 1/2" header? Only ones I find for merged header are the dual packs which I really don't want. Not too fond of the huge package look behind the bug. I can deal with single muffler