TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: AAZ turbo problems...need help finding replacement that fits
Brunswicken Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi everyone, looking for some help from diesel gurus! My van is a 1988 TD joker that originally had a jx 1.6 TD engine and later the po swapped a 1.9 TD AAZ engine. The turbo that is now dead was a k14 which came with the van originally. I'm now searching for a replacement turbo and found a vnt15 but I'm not sure it would fit my manifold (jx 1.6 TD manifold) as my manifold is not centered like the AAZ one (see last pic below)

1. Anyone know if I can swap a AAZ centred manifold and still make the vnt15 fit? Would there be clearance issues with the engine support?

2. Anyone have other option for me? Can't seem to find a replacement k14 turbo with the same exhaust 4 bolt pattern.

K14 turbo with long cracks!

4 bolt jx manifold

[/img]

?Waldo? Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:42 pm

Is the VNT15 from an ALH with the integral manifold? If so, it won't fit without some significant mount modification. It also will not bolt to the AAZ triangular flange without an adapter plate. You would also need to sort out how you would control the vanes.

A K14 from an AAZ would bolt up and they are fairly common. They look outwardly almost identical to the JX K14, but the compressor wheel is larger.

Brunswicken Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:59 am

Andrew A. Libby wrote: Is the VNT15 from an ALH with the integral manifold? If so, it won't fit without some significant mount modification. It also will not bolt to the AAZ triangular flange without an adapter plate. You would also need to sort out how you would control the vanes.

A K14 from an AAZ would bolt up and they are fairly common. They look outwardly almost identical to the JX K14, but the compressor wheel is larger.

Thanks for the info Andrew, yes the vnt15 has the manifold attached, so it is out of the question. So if I understand correctly, I could use a aaz triangular flange manifold with a k14 from a AAZ motor? Would this also apply to a k03 turbo?

?Waldo? Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:43 am

The AAZ triangular manifold matches the AAZ K03 turbo not the AAZ K14. The AAZ K14 would fit your current manifold.

Brunswicken Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:51 am

Thank again Andrew, I ended up finding a turbo from a 94 golf AAZ.