TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need Help. My 65 VW bug won't start.
mockgavin Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:39 pm

I just bought a new starter.
I just bought a new battery.
Has a Brand New carburetor.
The grounds are all connected.
I really need help with this.
The car will turn but will not fire up.
Just got brand new spark plugs.

krs.br79 Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Have you tested to see if those brand new spark plugs are actually sparking?

Nubby Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:21 pm

How is your fuel line and filter looking?

KTPhil Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:32 pm

Assuming you have compression, that leaves spark and gas. Take off the air cleaner and then open the throttle, watching for a steam from the accel pump. If it's flowing at all, it should start. If not, you have a fuel blockage. Could be a stuck float valve in the new carb.

Next, either pull a plug or connect a spare spark plug wire to the distributor, and see if the spark jump to the engine case with a bright blue-white spark. If you get nothing, check your rotor, points, cap, wires, and even the coil.

These are the basics of getting it to run. Running well needs more, but if you've got nothing, then these basic checks can narrow it down.

Hopefully you didn't replace all those parts just to get it started. Repair by random replacement is expensive!

Motor60 Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:30 am

Check to see if you installed the rotor under the cap...that would prevent spark...Dont laugh, ITS HAPPENED BEFORE !!

If you have the common fuel filter, check to see if theres fuel in it after letting it crank over couple times. Also, make sure you're fuel lines are hooked up correctly to the fuel pump...Dont laugh, ITS HAPPENED BEFORE !!

Make sure the wires to the coil are hooked up correctly...do you have a single carb H30/31? Make sure the wire for the auto choke and idle cutoff solenoid is hooked to the POSITIVE terminal to the coil. And check to see if the solenoid on the carb CLICKS when you turn on ignition. If that solenoid doesnt click then motor will not start.

Motor60 Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:33 am

Also, if the carb is new, it needs quite a few cranks of the motor to allow the bowl to fill with fuel before it will fire up. You can remove air filter, pull on the throttle, and see if fuel is getting dumped into the throat.

If you kept pulling on the throttle before, (while trying to figure this out on your own) you may have flooded motor too. Check all the things i mentioned above. Then push the gas pedal all the way down and hold it down while cranking over the motor. If its flooded, then this will get it unflooded and fire up.

Motor60 Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:49 pm

Hey Mock, did you get motor fired up yet? Just curious...