TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Door Seal on our 66 Bug
AZ66Bug Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:26 pm

We are getting ready to install the perimeter door seal on our 66. The doors are off now. Is it easier to install the seals with the doors off the car or when they are hanging on the hinges. Makes more sense to me to do them with the doors off the car, but its our first time and I may be missing something. Installed similar seals on our Ford truck a few years ago and it was really tough to get the seal installed on the hinge side with the doors on the car.

RareAir Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Just as easy either way. I prefer the door mounted to the car. This way, you're not trying to balance the weight of the door while installing the seal.

notsnarb Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:39 pm

x2 on the car.

Disconnect the door check strap and fix in place with 3M's Super weatherstrip and gasket adhesive 3M 8001 yellow they have black too if you prefer.

AZ66Bug Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Thanks. Already got the 3M adhesive. Makes sense to do them on the car, especially with the strap disconnected. Think that was the limitation on my truck. That and the truck door was a lot wider.

shortride Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:10 am

My '66 has two new door seals but the driver-side door is harder to close. I found out that the driver-side seal is a Brazilian part. Much thicker than it needs to be.