TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front tire recommendation
Snowking63 Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:27 pm

So I've been having some bad front end problems with my baja DD. long story short, I just replaced the spindles which seemed to be the problem. Although that's fixed, my tire treads have really worn down and now is creating some more problems which need to be fixed by getting new tires.

So what's happening is that my tires are flexing side to side which is creating some bad play in the wheels. I currently have BF Goodrich TA Radials. I'm not sure on the size but I can always measure them when I have the time if need be. I do have pictures of them in my bio.

What I need is a recommendation from you baja lovers on some front tires that are sturdy and won't flex as much as these do. I have a separate thread on the problems I'm having with my link pin front end but I'd like to keep this thread focused strictly on the tires. Thanks in advance

Brian Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:51 pm

BFG A/T 235/75-15

How much baja do you baja in your baja?

100% road: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do...amp;cs=215

dirtkeeper Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:04 pm

these yokohama 742s are great. strong sidewalls and they are radials which most of the 7x15s arent. i like how they are tall enough and firm enough to ride over rocks and bumps with ease. Runs quite and nice on pavement expensive .

HERC Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:12 am

I like those DK 8)

takotruckin Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:52 am

Brian wrote: BFG A/T 235/75-15

He bajas in his baja as much as his baja will baja before it doesn't want to baja no more.

Snowking63 Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:42 am

takotruckin wrote: Brian wrote: BFG A/T 235/75-15

He bajas in his baja as much as his baja will baja before it doesn't want to baja no more.

Bajajajajajajajaja

Snowking63 Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:20 pm

dirtkeeper wrote: these yokohama 742s are great. strong sidewalls and they are radials which most of the 7x15s arent. i like how they are tall enough and firm enough to ride over rocks and bumps with ease. Runs quite and nice on pavement expensive .

After doing research I decided those 742s are the way to go but no shop around me carries them so I'm just getting the same ones I had. I figured now with the front end fixed the tires should wear down a lot slower and they shouldn't flex when the tread is flat. Thanks for the help

vwracin2win Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:44 pm

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?tir...=700R5742S

I was going to get them too but I went with the bfg a/t 30x9.50x15 mounted on a 4" wide wheel so it has the tall skinney look but they are stupid easy to find and they match the rears tread pattern.

ORANGECRUSHer Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:19 am

dirtkeeper wrote: these yokohama 742s are great. strong sidewalls and they are radials which most of the 7x15s arent. i like how they are tall enough and firm enough to ride over rocks and bumps with ease. Runs quite and nice on pavement expensive .

Just thought I should warn you, your missing a couple lugs.

dirtkeeper Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:15 am

ORANGECRUSHer wrote: dirtkeeper wrote: these yokohama 742s are great. strong sidewalls and they are radials which most of the 7x15s arent. i like how they are tall enough and firm enough to ride over rocks and bumps with ease. Runs quite and nice on pavement expensive .

Just thought I should warn you, your missing a couple lugs.

and shocks!

dustymojave Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:02 pm

I REALLY DON'T feel the tires were EVER your problem. It sounds like things were loose in the linkpins an/or the kingpins. You mentioned something about that in your other thread, but it didn't make real good sense. If you jack up the front of the Bug, you should not be able to wiggle the wheels with your hands. Up and down, in top/out bottom, in front/out back, etc. If you feel any movement, ask dad to look underneath to see what's moving while you wiggle the wheel.