TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Riddle me this....[power cutting out + clicking noise]
Mountain1.8t Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:32 am

Drove from Montana to Minnesota and back (~2500 total miles) over the past week. Van drove fine on the way to Minnesota, EXCEPT for a couple issues.

FIRST ISSUE: A noise from what sounded like the driver's side front or rear (most likely the rear) developed and got progressively worse until it was more of a clunking than a clicking. I figured it was the rear CV joint, so I replaced the LOBRO axle with one from Advanced Auto Parts. I also removed the driver's side axle and repacked it with fresh grease. AFTER installing the replacement axle, the noise went away for the most part, but there was still a clicking noise coming from the same area. The noise is speed dependent (i.e., clicking increases as speed increases), and seems to be louder when taking right turns. COULD THIS BE THE CHEAP ADVANCED AUTO AXLE STILL MAKING NOISE? I plan to rebuild the old Lobro axle with new CV joints soon, but wondering if there is anything else I should check while I'm in there.

SECOND ISSUE: After driving nearly 1500 miles, I noticed that the gas was cutting out at freeway speeds, especially going up big inclines, or getting on the gas to pass other vehicles. While we were cruising most of the trip at 65-70 mph, once this issue started happening, I was only able to maintain 45-55 mph without the van power cutting out...almost stumbling. As we went up in elevation and bigger hills, it got worse. We made it to Bozeman, where I swapped out the fuel pump relay and fuel pump for brand new. This did not solve the problem. BUT, as outside temps began to decrease, from about 80F down into the 60's, I was able to increase my speed without the power cutting out. Still though, if I got on the pedal to accelerate or pass a car, the van cut out and stumbled. WHAT SHOULD I CHECK? I'm going to install a new fuel filter, replace the ground on the fuel pump (looked crusty and original), and look into getting the "Vanagon Syndrome" harness. What else could be causing this?

THANKS in advance for everyone's help!

Mountain1.8t Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:23 am

Anybody have any ideas for "SECOND ISSUE"?

nmerrill Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:32 am

Wild guess, but are we talking original WBX? How are the tracks on the AFM?

geo_tonz Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:53 am

How's your actual fuel supply (I believe Bentley's got a test for flow rate/volume from the pump)? Do you have fuel leaks and/or gas fumes on fill up? Is your filter pretty cruddy?

I ask all this suspecting you have crud in your tank blocking the screen on your fuel pick-up. It could come and go as your tank sloshes around. Going up an incline maybe shifts more crud/water to the pickup area? Start heading down and the area clears a bit and things run better? Fumes/leakage from the expansion tank or filler when fueling mean mosture and dirt can get in. Possible sources could be dried/cracked/loose tank seals, Dried/cracked rollover valve seals, cracked filler, cracked expansion tank, cracked hose, crappy gas cap.

Here's some images of tank interiors stolen from other Samba folk to give you an idea.

Mountain1.8t Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:02 pm

nmerrill wrote: Wild guess, but are we talking original WBX? How are the tracks on the AFM?
The AFM including the tracks look like new still.

geo_tonz wrote: How's your actual fuel supply (I believe Bentley's got a test for flow rate/volume from the pump)? Do you have fuel leaks and/or gas fumes on fill up? Is your filter pretty cruddy?

I ask all this suspecting you have crud in your tank blocking the screen on your fuel pick-up. It could come and go as your tank sloshes around. Going up an incline maybe shifts more crud/water to the pickup area? Start heading down and the area clears a bit and things run better? Fumes/leakage from the expansion tank or filler when fueling mean mosture and dirt can get in. Possible sources could be dried/cracked/loose tank seals, Dried/cracked rollover valve seals, cracked filler, cracked expansion tank, cracked hose, crappy gas cap.

Here's some images of tank interiors stolen from other Samba folk to give you an idea.

I haven't pulled the fuel filter yet, but it has at least 12k miles on it at this point. Maybe more. I'm going to upgrade from the white square to the larger kit that Gowesty sells.

I know the fuel lines are brand new throughout, and I resealed the entire gas tank last year. We cleaned it out but there was little sediment inside, so I don't suspect there is much in there now. No leaks, but a faint smell of gas after fillup.

Could an O2 sensor or spark plugs cause this? Distributor?