TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1980 Westfalia FI 2.0L runs! ... but not for long
aalcoholism Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Hey ya'll. an AZ dubber here..

I am having an issue keeping my 1980 1.9L westy running for very long. The problem lately is very tempremental and confusing, but here's the scoop:

I got this Westy out of a yard back in March 2013, had it gone-through since it was sitting since 2007 at least, and got her running back in August of 2013. When I got her running and driving, things went great!

I have about 5k miles on a rebuilt motor, and that included a restoration of fuel lines, pump, and filter. The fuel pump is functioning, and the motor seems to be getting consistent fuel.. I am just at a loss at this point, and I am not sure where to start.

I can get her to turn over, and after a few cranks she fires. She will stay idiling by herself for about 2 1/2 mins on her own, but will then suddenly cut out, and stall. When I try to start her back up, she wont fire up again unless I let her sit for another few minutes. I can get the motor fired up again, once I let it sit for awhile, but It will do it again after another 2 1/2 mins..

It used to be that after the second time of stalling, and re-starting, I can drive her no problem! (I made a 250 mile trip without a hiccup with this issue before it got this bad.)

However, the problem has been more persistant lately, and the "3rd times a charm" mindset isnt woring anymore, and I am finding that trying to rely on the faith of my westy starting and runnning every time in this fashion to be unreliable..

I read up on some other topics and found that the major culprits tend to be a clogged fule filter, a bad head temp sensor, or cracks in a vacuum line somewhere..

I am wanting to test the waters and see what others have expereinced with this same type of issue (if any) and see what troubleshooting tips I can find.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

From one road oiler to another, I hope all is well! 8)

Wildthings Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:59 pm

The 1.9L engine is a watercooled boxer engine that was first introduced in the 83 1/2 model year. Is this what you have? or do you have a 2.0L air cooled engine?

aalcoholism Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Wildthings wrote: The 1.9L engine is a watercooled boxer engine that was first introduced in the 83 1/2 model year. Is this what you have? or do you have a 2.0L air cooled engine?

--Yes, my mistake. It IS aircooled.

jismay Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:02 pm

TS2 Temp Sensor 2.

Dollars to doughnuts that is your problem right there.

ryecatcher Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Yep, Temp2. And check the wire itself too and the connection to make sure it's solid. I had a problem with a loose connector to a known good sensor that caused lots of havoc. It /looked/ like it was well-seated in there, but it wasn't. Good luck!