TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: bolt head broke off flex plate... what now?
RocketBox Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:57 pm

So theres been this rattling noise going on with the rebuilt engine. I was thinking it was because I used some bolts that were too long when connecting the flex plate and torque converter.... well, turns out that one of the heads from the bolt is broken off :( and dancing around between the flex plate and torque converter. Is there an easy way around this mess? I was thinking that ill need to first unholy the flex plate and Tc. Then support the trans and engine and try separating them and hope that the head spills out. Then get the bolt out...

Sound right?

IdahoDoug Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:45 pm

Why not just pull the tranny out and do that? Trying to support/squeak tools in there may take about the same time and that would allow you to replace all the now-suspect bolts.

RocketBox Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Yeah... that'd probably be the way to do it. Guess its time to research how to do that then.

RocketBox Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:42 pm

Are there any good write ups on removing the transmission? Ive never done this either....

Terry Kay Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Got a Bentley Service manual?

This would help you out---give you an idea what is where.
It'll even tell you what to do to R&R the trans.

IdahoDoug Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:01 pm

Bentley has a good procedure. I took my manual Syncro trans out and was surprised at how easily it was done despite the added Syncro complexities. I got a lot of advice at the time that it was easier to take the engine and trans out together. I may do it next time as I'd like to do some mechanical things on the engine at the same time. The same may apply to you.

DougM

RocketBox Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:10 pm

Are there any good write ups on removing the transmission? Ive never done this either....

Terry Kay Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:17 pm

None that I have ever seen posted.
If you want a blow by blow description--The Bentley Manual will do you well.

Terry Kay Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:18 pm

You own a Vanagon and don't have a service manual yet? :shock:

IdahoDoug Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Brave soul...

Terry Kay Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:43 pm

Tough it out--

Too long of a bolt, it snapped, and now it's the Stevie Wonder fix--

I wonder who swapped the engine, slapped the wrong bolt in there, with no spring washer, if the OP is asking how to?

Interesting reading this evening--

fleet_maintenance Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:36 am

All the more impressive (no Bentley) considering the pile of parts you started the project with!

MarkWard Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:45 am

The automatic weighs a ton compared to the manual transmission. You can use a floor jack to drop it, but you really need someone to help you balance it. Removing the automatic is fairly straight forward and can actually be easier for the DIY person since you don't need to deal with the clutch splines going back in.

Disconnect both accel cables, I recommend removing the dipstick tube in advance, fluid will drain out. Remove the starter, but disconnect the battery ground first and if you have two batteries both grounds. You will need a way to support the engine either from above or below while the transmission is being dropped. Undo the two remaining torque convertor bolts, remove the upper bellhousing fasteners. Then go down below and remove the two bottom bellhousing fasteners. With your floor jack, move the transmission forward and down. The torque convertor may hang up or want to fall out, so pay attention. The transmission will want to fall off the floor jack, so watch your hands. They make a transmission jack adapter for floor jacks that let you chain the transmission to the jack.

Installation is the opposite pretty much. I use a tie rap to hold the torque convertor in place keeping attention to the flex plate bolt holes to they are nearly lined up before you put the transmission back in.

The bolt should not have broken. So you may need new factory bolts. Post up your job for others. Good luck.

danfromsyr Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:47 am

http://www.vanagonparts.com/at_removal.html

RocketBox wrote: Are there any good write ups on removing the transmission? Ive never done this either....

Quote: Automatic Transmission Removal & Installation
*For reference only.

Removal

Disconnect battery ground cable. Remove upper engine-to-transaxle bolts. Remove dipstick and bolt for dipstick tube support bracket.
Remove 3 torque converter-to-drive bolts through hole in top of transaxle housing. Raise and support vehicle.
Disconnect both axle shafts from transaxle. Remove starter. Disconnect push rod from transaxle kickdown lever. Detach accelerator cable from transaxle. Detach selector lever cable from transaxle.
Disconnect and plug lines from transaxle cooler. Disconnect ground strap. Remove mounting bracket bolts. Support transaxle with jack.
Remove lower transaxle-to-engine bolts. Separate transaxle from engine. Lower transaxle.
NOTE: Support bottom of engine when removing transaxle.

Installation

To install, reverse removal procedure. Make sure torque converter is fully seated on one-way clutch support. Distance from engine mating surface to end of converter hub should be at least 3/8" (10 mm).
Torque Specifications

Application Ft. Lbs. (N.m)
Axle Shaft-To-Flange Bolts 33 (45)
Torque Converter-To-Drive Plate Bolts 22 (30)
Transaxle-To-Engine Bolts 41 (55)
Transmission Mount 22 (30)

RocketBox Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 am

Holy Crap! Yes - i have the bentleys. I was the goon that slapped in too long of a bolt, i was the one who did an engine rebuild and installed it... if i rebuilt an engine from scratch, i'm pretty sure i can drop the transmission. loooked through the bentleys and it looks like there is a lot less stuff to disconnect that if i were to drop the engine... plus i have a kit for the transmission, so it will give me a chance to go through that too...

MarkWard Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:49 am

Get 3 of these for the torque convertor. 003 323 699 That should be the correct number for the flex plate bolt.

AtlasShrugged Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:36 pm

I don't think you have to pull the transmission..maybe you will..I would try this first.

Go up top of the Vanagon and unscrew the remaining flex plate bolts through the hole on the driver's side of the engine..the torque converter MAY move forward away from the flex plate just enough to get that bolt head out from under the bell-housing..never done this but maybe the loose bolt head will drop down and you can fish it out.

If not..then just continue the removal of the automatic..just pull the transmission back from the engine (use the write ups on how to support the engine) enough to get the bolt head out..don't remove the whole transmission.

When you go back together..do use the correct bolts like rsxsr suggests and line up the torque converter bolt holes with the flex plate.

Kudagra Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:33 am

Pull the engine. It takes about an hour (2 if you care :D )

That broken bolt can get between the flex plate and the engine an tear a lot of stuff up. Like the galley plugs and the plug on the front of the cam.

I have 2 flex plates if you need one for some reason (1 AC 2.0 and 1 WBX 1.9)