TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My old 66
allsidius Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:41 am

Evelyn was a pearl white 66 1300, that my brother bought for 70 USD in 1981. Unfortunately he decided to repaint it a shade of Highland Green, sacrilege today, but an easy way of hiding the rust then. I don't remember we ever changed the oil or did any other servicing. I drove it for 2 years without a hitch. The ignition lock went bust so I just put in rocker switches, and the car was never locked. Noone figured you could just take it and drive. One moron borrowed it and forgot to turn off the starter. After half an hour driving around with the starter engaged, it still worked from time to time! Finally the battery fell out so it was scrapped. Gallant little car. I saw those Highland green fenders on a Sea blue 65 for years later.

allsidius Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:59 am

And here's the old Jalopy before the paint job... Wish we could have started over again!

Funny how fast cars got old back in the 70s. The beetle was 16 years when this picture was taken. Here's how our 13 year old Passat looks today. Not everything was better in the old days.