TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: headliner - 1 peice or multi peice?
buggin65 Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:19 am

Does anybody know what are the advantages and disadvantages between a one piece headliner and a multi piece?

Todd66 Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:35 am

1 piece is easier to install. Unless you are doing a 100% perfect resto I would go with the one piece. It still looks good (if done right :) ).

Fred_e81 Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:50 am

I think that the 1 piece style is easiest to install but the multi piece looks awesome. I installed a multi piece from j bugs and it looks like I had it done professionally. Keep in mind that was my first time doing it and I am no professional. Do some research. I used the jbugs video for a little help and also videos from Chris Vallone from Classic VW Bugs. Use the search function here. I also used a DIY from a gentleman doing it on a red 65. Hope this helps!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419545&highlight=headliner

retroman Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:42 am

I just finished a WW multipiece (9) and if you take your time its quite rewarding. It was my first install. One caveat is to cut the webs that hold the bows to fit your car. Mine needed to have about 2 inches removed so it would be wrinkle free. Cut equal amounts on each side. There will be chalk marks on the back of the headliner so its easy to do. Go slow and be patient. Binder clips and clothespins are very useful. No beer while doing this job!

buggin65 Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks you guys. I know what your are saying. I want to do an awesome job and I want to take my time. I don't mind the extra steps and I already did the seats myself and they look really nice. I already have the one pc in the box but I think I will exchange it for the higher priced multi-piece. any suggestions on what padding to get because I don't think it comes with it.

retroman Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:36 am

I used a little poly fill from walmart. Mainly on the door posts and under rear window. If the roof padding is still in place it mainly keeps the bows from rattling on the roof. Not a big fan of over padding as what goes up will come down. If i did another headliner i could do it much faster as i learned a lot. Do 1or 2 sections and let it rest. Dont try to do all in one day.