TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Large dent behind rear air intakes
stevo96 Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a large dent behind the air intake vents at the rear of the kombi, it's about the size of soccer ball. Was wondering if anyone has tackled a large dent in this area and how they did it? I could probably get some leverage through the vents...
Cheers

Das Awesome Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:43 pm

Have you got any pics? If its low enough, you could use the classic football trick! :D

AudioFanatix Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:48 pm

I would also be interested, mine looks something like this. I've been pondering for a while. You can get leverage through the vent but then you might risk bending up the vents.

airschooled Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:13 pm

If it's a 68 or 69 you can just dill out the interior panel rivets and get a NICE shot at it from inside. Later years, you might have to go from down below in the engine compartment.

busdaddy Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:26 pm

asiab3 wrote: If it's a 68 or 69 you can just dill out the interior panel rivets ..
Whaaaaaattt??.....

airschooled Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:37 pm

busdaddy wrote: asiab3 wrote: If it's a 68 or 69 you can just dill out the interior panel rivets ..
Whaaaaaattt??.....

The "back" of the air intake vents is a small panel on early early bays. I KNOW in '71 it is different, but I'm not sure about '70.

Rivets are factory, and the panel can be replaced after painting. :D The whole D pillar is essentially removable from the inside. It came up a while ago when some folks were debating painting inside the vents or outside first. Early earlies don't have to choose!

Robbie

Thrasher22 Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:40 pm

^^ Cool! That'd be so handy for body work in that area.

However to the posters asking how to tackle it, you can reach pretty much the whole area from the engine bay if you hold the hammer right at the end. Its a little awkward, but one of the few places on the bus you can access from behind.
Can't reach it? Try and make an extension for your body hammer.

stevo96 Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:08 pm

Thanks Thrasher - I didnt think about getting to it from underneath! I'll post a pic soon, I pick the bus up on Monday...

busdaddy Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:10 pm

asiab3 wrote: busdaddy wrote: asiab3 wrote: If it's a 68 or 69 you can just dill out the interior panel rivets ..
Whaaaaaattt??.....

The "back" of the air intake vents is a small panel on early early bays. I KNOW in '71 it is different, but I'm not sure about '70.

Rivets are factory, and the panel can be replaced after painting. :D The whole D pillar is essentially removable from the inside. It came up a while ago when some folks were debating painting inside the vents or outside first. Early earlies don't have to choose!

Robbie

Bad news, there's another layer of welded in metal under there, that's just a thin insulation panel covered with a layer of thin metal, usually found on panel van's and Kombi's.

airschooled Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:11 pm

busdaddy wrote:
Bad news, there's another layer of welded in metal under there, that's just a thin insulation panel covered with a layer of thin metal, usually found on panel van's and Kombi's.[/quote]

Dang. I should have known better than to have trusted the guys in the body/paint forum…

richparker Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:57 pm

How about the old football technique?

notchboy Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:18 pm

Keith Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:25 pm

notchboy wrote:

That's not just for the bedroom anymore !

Das Awesome Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:24 pm

the old football trick is where you take a deflated football, and place it between the dented metal. You then slowly inflate the football, and it pushes out the dent. :D :lol:

Brian Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:33 pm

Just make a dent on the other side and say it came like that.

babysnakes Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:47 pm

notchboy wrote:

This is a stud welder, and what needs to be used to repair your dent correctly.
You weld a stud and then use a dent puller to grasp the stud (more or less) and pull out the dent.

secretsubmariner Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:42 pm

Brian wrote: Just make a dent on the other side and say it came like that.

:lol: :lol: