TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 16" no mod wheels Page: 1, 2  Next
robertgriner Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:21 am

I know we have the eternal post on The Samba, but... does anybody know of any 16" wheels that fit an 88 Vanagon without spacers, new wheel studs/bolts or modification? Like from another VW, Audio, Mercedes...not from GoWesty, Van Cafe, etc. I'm talking Craigslist and eBay.

SyncroGhia Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:41 am

The only wheels that will bolt on using your original nuts and bolts, no spacers, no longer or different profile nuts/bolts etc are Syncro 16 steel wheels.

Everything else that I know of needs different nuts/bolts as a minimum, possible opening of the wheel centres out and then longer bolts/studs and spacers.

MG

Christopher Schimke Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:46 am

I assume we are talking about a 2wd here? If so, all Audi and VW wheels will require modifications (centerbore enlarged) and almost all will require spacers and lugs, so that pretty much eliminates all of them from your want of unmodified wheels.

There are only two 16" Mercedes wheels that I am aware of that can potentially be installed without spacers and/or longer studs.

One is part # 2034000302 and/or 2084000102 (same wheel, different part number) and is a 16x7 ET37 steel wheel from a '98-'05 C240 or C320 and a '98-'03 CLK320. No mods required to the wheels, just the use of small ball seat lugs.

The other wheel is the forged alloy wheel from the '98-'01 CLK320, part number 2084010002. This is a 16x7 ET37 wheel. What makes this particular alloy wheel different from the other 16x7 ET37 Mercedes alloy wheels is that the thickness of the wheel through the lug hole is very thin compared to the other Mercedes alloy wheels. This particular wheel is about 4mm thick whereas the others are between 23mm and 25mm thick (which forces the use of longer wheel studs). This thin cross section allows you to keep the stock rear studs. If you wanted to use some of the other 16x7 ET37 wheels, you can still install them without spacers, but you would have to change the rear wheel studs to longer versions. All of the Mercedes alloy wheels will require the lug holes to be drilled to 37/64" and will require small ball seat lugs.

For all of the Mercedes 16x7 ET37 alloy wheels, if spacers are not used, the Mercedes center caps will not fit, but I do have cap solutions for them. Also, if spacers are not used, you must use 205 or narrower tires. 215 width tires rarely fit without rubbing and there is no way that 225s fit without the use of spacers.

MarkWard Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:32 am

If I understand your post, if you purchase the rims from GoWesty, they include the hardware and will bolt right up no spacers. The sliding door is extremely close to the r/r rim, but it clears. I am running 215/65/16 tires and have not scrubbed a fender lip or suspension part. For something quick and easy you can't beat them.

I have since upgraded to front studs that I purchased from Christopher along with new nuts for all 4 corners. As a result I have the original GW hardware that I had listed for sale here in the classifieds at one point including the socket. If that would help, PM me.

nacradriver Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:46 am

rsxsr wrote: If I understand your post, if you purchase the rims from GoWesty, they include the hardware and will bolt right up no spacers. The sliding door is extremely close to the r/r rim, but it clears. I am running 215/65/16 tires and have not scrubbed a fender lip or suspension part. For something quick and easy you can't beat them.

Ordered the Go Westy's on a Monday... took five minutes, they showed up that Wednesday @ 2:00 PM, I was driving down the road with my new wheels at 2:30 PM....

The time that I saved on this project was well worth what I paid....

Jon_slider Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:26 am

robertgriner wrote: does anybody know of any 16" wheels that fit an 88 Vanagon without spacers, new wheel studs/bolts or modification?... not from GoWesty, Van Cafe, etc. I'm talking Craigslist and eBay.

Nope

Why do you want 16" wheels?

MarkWard Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I just reread your post. Missed that you did not want to buy new ones. I read somewhere that the Newest VW Beetle Steel wheels are 16s and would fit. No experience though.

buildyourown Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:53 pm

yeah, you have to choose. cheap, or easy. gw has the easy option.
the spacer and hardware isnt really that hard.

robertgriner Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:55 pm

Thanks all. Seriously. I live in Kansas City and the wind here is crazy. I'm drifting all over the road with my little 14" wheels/tires when it's windy. When it's a windy drive, I choose not to drive my VW.

There is too much reading to cause you to be neurotic about some of this stuff.

I'm driving a 2wd and want to feel more secure on the road. It doesn't help that the 15/16 inch wheels help my bus "not" look like a toy too :)

I know I can find nice looking 16" Mercedes wheels cheap on Craigslist locally. I'm okay with pushing 12mm holes to 14mm for lugs/studs, and center cap hole a bit, but I don't want to modify that ET with a lot of spacer work. I know the "Germans" spent a lot of time figuring the perfect wheel/tire for load weights, etc., and there's a reason for the size they chose (probably what was available), but I also don't want to monkey with the wheel fitting so much that I end up creating an unsafe setup.

Thanks Christopher (T3) for your input. I probably owe you a call.

dobryan Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:26 pm

What tires and pressure are you using? They can make a big difference.

How old are your shocks, springs, bushings, etc? If worn they too will make a windy ride tough.

Christopher Schimke Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:41 pm

robertgriner wrote:

I know I can find nice looking 16" Mercedes wheels cheap on Craigslist locally. I'm okay with pushing 12mm holes to 14mm for lugs/studs, and center cap hole a bit, but I don't want to modify that ET with a lot of spacer work. I know the "Germans" spent a lot of time figuring the perfect wheel/tire for load weights, etc., and there's a reason for the size they chose (probably what was available), but I also don't want to monkey with the wheel fitting so much that I end up creating an unsafe setup.

Thanks Christopher (T3) for your input. I probably owe you a call.

It's a common misconception that adding spacers automatically equates to unsafe situations and increased wear. Think of it like this:

Say you have two wheels, both are 16x7. One has a 30mm offset and the other has a 45mm offset. The only difference between two wheels is that the wheel/hub mating surface is further away from the inside lip on the ET45 wheel compared to the ET30 wheel. Also, when mounted to the hub, the center line of the wheel is 15mm further inboard for the ET45 wheel compared to the ET30 wheel. If we add 15mm spacers to the ET45 wheel, we have in effect changed the offset of the wheel to ET30 and centerline of both wheels are now positioned in exactly the same place. It is the location of the wheel center line that determines the load on the wheel bearings and the relationship of the wheel to the suspension design.

VW specified wheels with offset between 30mm and 39mm, so trying to keep the offset close to that range is the key. This is true whether it is the true offset of the wheel of the effective offset of the after spacers have been added.

As far as any safety concerns over using longer hardware to make up for the thickness of the spacers, as long as quality hardware is used, there is not one single issue to be concerned with.

Yes, feel free to contact me any time. I would be happy to answer any of your questions.

hans j Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:01 pm

I am using 15mm spacers on my syncro with T3 Technique longer studs and have quite a few miles on them with no issues. About 20,000 miles so far and likely 4-5000 of that off road on every type of surface you can imagine being called a "road". No issues, no worries.

professorplumb Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:39 am

I'm looking for some 16" steel wheels now that VC and GoWesty are both out of them. The "official" Mercedes wheels (part number 2034000302 or 2084000102) seem to be hard to find and expensive these days.

I found these wheels on Amazon at a very reasonable price. The bolt pattern is correct and I've emailed the seller to ask about the offset. If both of those are OK, what else could I be looking at that would cause them not to fit my Syncro? Lug holes and center holes might need drilling out - anything else?

procom32 Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:02 am

Small car has these 16" ones in stock that I have been considering.

https://smallcar.com/vanagon/wheel-tire-brake-and-...el-16x6.5/

RobT Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:03 am

16X7 ET31 Mercedes. Pretty cheap directly from the dealer. They fit with no mods but they are passenger car wheels so a bit on the thin side.

https://www.mboemparts.com/oem-parts/mercedes-benz-disc-wheel-2034001602

Also these 16X7 ET33 aftermarket Alcar wheels same deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Alcar-steel-wheels-rims...3512920587

Trevor P Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:49 pm

Tiguan 16” steel wheels will fit with a bit of center bore clearance. No spacers needed and no fancy hardware. All you need are the Tiguan wheel bolts for the front and you can run the stock vanagon lug nut in back. IMO they look at home on a Vanagon.

turbotype1 Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:08 am

professorplumb wrote: The "official" Mercedes wheels (part number 2034000302 or 2084000102) seem to be hard to find and expensive these days.

I just found 4 of the "302's" in local auto junk yards for $60 each.... They are getting scarce, I had to get them from 2 different places... 2 were delivered, 2 I had to go get myself.

I used https://www.car-part.com/ for a search. 2004 C- class

Pete

jimf909 Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:26 pm

FWIW, last year I changed from 16" "euro" alloys to 15" GW steel wheels. I contemplated 16" mercedes steel wheels (they were available from the dealer for $80 then) but went with 15" wheels. I like the looks and did not notice a significant change in handling going from Nokians to BFG ATs.

15" GW steel wheels, BFG 215/75 R15, big brakes up front. GW had some blems available for $60 so the price was right too..

16" GW alloy wheels, Nokian WRC3 215/65 R16

BCgee Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:05 pm

The Tiguan steelies look good. Have a set on my overland trailer - interchangeable with Syncro in a pinch.

MuzzcoVW Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:29 am

jimf909 wrote: FWIW, last year I changed from 16" "euro" alloys to 15" GW steel wheels. I contemplated 16" mercedes steel wheels (they were available from the dealer for $80 then) but went with 15" wheels. I like the looks and did not notice a significant change in handling going from Nokians to BFG ATs.

15" GW steel wheels, BFG 215/75 R15, big brakes up front. GW had some blems available for $60 so the price was right too..

16" GW alloy wheels, Nokian WRC3 215/65 R16

Just curious..have you ever tried holding the factory hubcap up to those GW steel rims. I'm wondering if it fits over the center raised area. I'd love to use these if I could figure a way to fit the original cap. I've been trying to get in touch with Stockton Wheel about re hooping my 14s but so far they've been impossible to get in touch with.