TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Disk brake pad shims for 1979 Westy
79WestyinVermont Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:55 am

The Wagner shims part #SH112-5, I received from Rock Auto are completely flat, with out the cutout dimple, that is supposed to keep the caliper piston from spinning.
Yeah or Nay on using them?
Anyone have a brand/part number that has the correct cutout detail?

aeromech Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:09 pm

My opinion is to run them. You'll be okay.

kreemoweet Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:45 pm

I doubt very much you will notice anything bad if you just leave those shims out, as long as your caliper pistons are installed with the
proper orientation. I do not believe the purpose of the shims is to
prevent the pistons from "spinning" (I can't see that happening), it's to ensure the pistons are oriented correctly to press the
pads at the correct spot. If you've ever seen the shims provided with the Girling version of the bay calipers, you'll notice that
they do not in any way prevent "rotation" of the pistons.

EDIT: It seems those are anti-squeal shims, and not meant to serve as the original "anti-rotation" shims. See raygreenwood's answer below.
If your calipers are like mine, there will be no room to install more than one shim plate if new pads are used.

raygreenwood Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:39 pm

79WestyinVermont wrote: The Wagner shims part #SH112-5, I received from Rock Auto are completely flat, with out the cutout dimple, that is supposed to keep the caliper piston from spinning.
Yeah or Nay on using them?
Anyone have a brand/part number that has the correct cutout detail?

No....the shims you ordered have nothing to do with the caliper piston locating/anti-rotation cut-out plate.

They are strictly anti-rattle/anti-squeal plates and they work excellently.
They are not meant to be piston anti-rotation plates.

If you read the description of the part #'s right above and below the part # you bought for $1.33...you will see the correct description for these plates.

Beck Arnley http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=492722&cc=1285961

That one and the wagner set at the bottom are both listed as "anti-squeal" plates.
They work because they are very malleable aluminum usually with a thin layer of temp sensitive rubber coating.

They are used in this order: Piston> cut-out anti-rotation plate> anti-squeal shim> pad.

If you needed the anti-rotation plates they are included in a lot of the ATE caliper rebuild kits sold on Rockauto. A lot of the 79 bus kits listed there do not have details.
But the last 3 411/412/914/late type 3 kits I bought on Rockauto turned out to be FAG and all had the anti-rotation plates. like this one

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=314586&cc=1280124

I would get your new anti-rotation plates and go ahead and use them with your new anti-rattle shims. Ray

79WestyinVermont Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:49 pm

Thanks VolksFolks for the input and better understanding.
Quite the sandwich going on in there.

http://germansupply.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16867

These above are exactly what came out of the original worn front brakes and they acted as dual purpose anti-squeal and piston retaining plates.
They are out of stock and I think out of sight price wise for what they are.
The pic in the Bentley book is too dark to see any real detail.
Haven't seen the above part for a type 2 on RockAuto pictured in any kits
for a 79 .
It's gotta be out there. Hopefully find one Monday.
Thanks again!

1967250s Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:55 pm

You could always take a chisel or screwdriver and make the tabs yourself. Just make sure they are on the piston side.

79WestyinVermont Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:38 am

I'm sanding and wire wheeling the old ones.
The tabs were all flat to the rest of the plates,
so I'll have to fiqure out how much to punch
out the tabs after i'm done cleaning them up.
Hopefully it will be clear when I hold it against the piston edge.
New ones are rare as hens teeth and need to get my Westy both going and stopping.

kreemoweet Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:14 pm

I can tell you from experience that if the tabs protrude too far, they will act as little "springs" and prevent
the pads from retracting. About 1.4 mm should do it.

79WestyinVermont Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:49 am

.05 inches or 5/100.ths of an inch ain't much.
Thanks for your input.