TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Please help identify this breather hose..
boston63boston63 Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:03 am

Can some one help me identify what's this is. I am about to purchase this engine and I've never seen a breather type tube come down from the air cleaner into some form of valve then connects to a rod that is screwed into the intake manifold. Supposedly this is a 1966 1300cc engine. I'm clueless to what this is being a newbie to the aircooled world.

Thanks a lot
Phil

60ragtop Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:15 am

Looks to be an aftermarket California emissions system back in the day.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php?cx=partner-p...6001955j15

Here's some info

boston63boston63 Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:27 am

You think I should just leave it and run it as is Or try to eliminate it

grandpa pete Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:01 am

If you are in California you ALWAYS want to be legal and run it ....BUT ....If you are in Reading , Massachusetts ; you may not want it in your way

KTPhil Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:00 am

What year is your car? California doesn't inspect/test anything older than about 1975 anyway.

Take that piece of shit off. It clogs your heat riser, causes air leaks, looks ugly.

I had to retrofit one of those back in the day. It was one of three ways older cars were retrofitted and it sucked.

If there is a plate with a hose between the intake manifold and carb, take that out, too.

boston63boston63 Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:55 am

My car is a 63. What would I do with the whole in the intake. Would I just have to replace the manifold.

vdubmyk Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:03 pm

grandpa pete wrote: If you are in California you ALWAYS want to be legal and run it ....BUT ....If you are in Reading , Massachusetts ; you may not want it in your way

On a 60's bug there is no emission requirements anymore so it's not needed. You can probably remove it and put a pipe plug in the hole.

KTPhil Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:19 pm

boston63boston63 wrote: My car is a 63. What would I do with the hole in the intake. Would I just have to replace the manifold.
You can use a plug with the same pipe threads as the pipe. You may want to grind it down so it doesn't block the flow of exhaust in the heat riser. Or have a shop weld the hole closed.

Helfen Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:18 pm

KTPhil wrote: What year is your car? California doesn't inspect/test anything older than about 1975 anyway.

Take that piece of shit off. It clogs your heat riser, causes air leaks, looks ugly.

I had to retrofit one of those back in the day. It was one of three ways older cars were retrofitted and it sucked.

If there is a plate with a hose between the intake manifold and carb, take that out, too.

California law says cars from 1976 to present date must be emission tested. California law also says cars with exhaust controls (all cars from 1966 to 1975) must retain their emission equipment and have it in good working order even if they are not being tested. California law also says the Ca. EPA or the California Air Resources Board can pull those vehicles (1966 to 1975) at any time back into smog check to meet Ca. clean air standards without a referendum of the voters. If Ca. does not meet Ca. Cap and Trade carbon off set, which started in 2014, and it won't because the industries it targeted have left the state or are in the process of leaving means the little old motorist driving a 1966-1975 will have to take the burden just like has been done in the past...over and over.
Bottom line? Better keep that smog stuff on the car.

BTW, I hate this stuff, but I could see the writing on the wall. That's why among other things the state was doing to Ca. taxpayers and property owners that I moved to another state.

KTPhil Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:25 am

After all these years, neither DMV nor CHP will understand what that gizmo is. It was a temporary retrofit, and the program was terminated decades ago.