TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Brake booster hard hose....
GreggK Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Hello all, While working on my 2wd van i have the gas tank down. I noticed that one of my vent lines had been rubbing on the hard hose that comes from the brake booster and runs back to the check valve. Its not worn through completely but I want to replace it.
Anyone have any sources for replacing that type of hose. Could I use a rubber vacuum hose and even run it all the way to the booster? Thanks greggK

GreggK Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:57 pm

I think I may have found the hose at bus depot. They call it brake servo hose. Ill check with them tomorrow.

Jeff's Old Volks Home Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:55 pm

I've replaced compromised pieces of the booster vacuum supply line with rubber and clamps, works awesome. 1/2 fuel line.
Jeff

GreggK Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks Jeff that may be the answer. Busdepots servo hose was some pretty thick rubber hose that wouldn't work for me. I found some hard plastic hose at the Lowes. Its used in irrigation systems but too big to work directly with the check valve. Also found some sort of "poly" something or other hard hose. That's also a little too big. It just fits into that rubber sleeve but then I cant get it into the next section of hose that goes into the check valve and also the hose coming from the booster. I was first trying for one long run with no joints. Probably have to do some splicing.

zeohsix Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:44 pm

You can buy hard nylon 3/8" diameter fuel hose for late model American cars from Doorman products. This is the same type of hose as VW used if you want another plastic hard line. Google Doorman fuel line a 25ft long kit is around $32. Part number is 800-072 most FLAPS have this in stock, if you have a Syncro with a locker use a heat gun on the nylon to install the vacuum "T" for the resivor at the rear.

GreggK Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:42 pm

I cut off the section of the original hard hose that was worn through. It was right where it passes above the gas tank. I then reconnected it to the formed hose that comes from the booster. Now I have to finish the run to the engine compartment, to the check valve. About 4-5'.
My options are, the hard plastic hose used for irrigation that I found at Lowes. It is 1/2" diameter. I ordered some of the rubber sleeves that go on the breather tube next to the gas tank inlet, from Busdepot. They fit inside the hard hose from Lowes pretty snug. I can then put the original hard line into that sleeve and with a fuel injection clamp I get a solid connection.... it seems.
Another option was to use 1/2" rubber fuel line. I have some 1/2" heater hose but will It work the same as the fuel line?
Any opinions? This is my last hurdle in starting up my van this weekend after 5 monthe of down time which started as a transmission replacement and unfolded into just about an entire engine, rear suspension, interior and coolant system upgrade/replacement. What an addictive hobby. Thanks GreggK