TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1986 Vanagon, 66,000 miles
Ehlingerj Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:52 am

Looking for some advice about a Vanagon in my area for sale. Low mileage, but was stored in a barn for about 10 years until bought by the current owner who has been driving it daily for the last two years. Not sure what the van was up to in the 90's, but judging by the mileage, not much. I haven't seen it yet, but the current owner has said that because the van sat for so long, many of the seals are leaking. He wasn't specific about this, but I imagine that could mean any number of things. It also needs a new starter motor, which is no big deal.

So, anything to look out for when buying something that has sat for so long?

nmerrill Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:29 pm

Well, a little searching on the samba is in order - lots of info for prospective buyers asking essentially the same question.
That said....

you/we need to know what has been done to the van after it came out of hibernation...
original coolant still in there?
original rubber brake lines?
original head gasket?
original coolant hoses?
original tires?

WITHOUT A DOUBT, THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION IS:

are the FUEL LINES IN THE ENGINE BAY ORIGINAL?????

If so, it's a rolling time bomb.

"Leaking seals" could mean drive axle flange seals (trans)
head gaskets
fuel leaks
rear main seal

Start asking questions!

geodude Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:47 pm

After ten years you can expect all the seals to be shot. May be a great find, but be prepared to pull everything apart, clean, renew seals, fuel lines, coolant hoses, etc., and reassemble.

Syncronicity Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:26 pm

Maybe a carfax check, to get and verify some history.

vwhammer Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:39 pm

I think everything that has been written here so far is true.
I bought an 85 with 80,000 miles on it that had been sitting in a garage for several years.
A lot of the seals on the ball joints and tie rod ends are trashed as well as some engine seals that will need addressed.
I just put now brakes and all new joints and bearings in the front and am currently redoing all the fuel lines and fittings as well as brakes lines.

I may very likely need to remove the engine or some bits of the engine to get it all sealed up again.
It leaks coolant and oil pretty significantly.

From my experiences with this and other cars, neglect can be harder on a vehicle than mileage.

Ahwahnee Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:27 pm

I take a less pessimistic view perhaps. I have never done this with a VW but have certainly acquired cars that have sat for more than a decade in dry storage -- indeed two of the cars I drive day-to-day have such a history.

Everything external made of 'rubber' had to be replaced but I did not have to do internal seals. Yes, it is time for fuel lines to be replaced to be sure, though 'time bomb' might be a bit alarmist. Remember too to check the age of the tires.

Rust is the big enemy unless your business or hobby is bodywork -- on that score a well-stored van can be a jewel.

Terry Kay Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:57 pm

Here's one got you that no one has addressed yet, & way beyond oil seals & fuel lines.

Mice & rats love wiring insulation.
If that vehicle was parked in a legitimate barn for that period of time rest assured there is going to be quite a few knawed up wiring somewhere in the van.

Big pain --and a pain that could keep on giving for years to come.

I'd done some verification of the miles too prior to saying "I Do" on this one.

Yellow Rabbit Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:49 pm

I bought a 60,000 mile Westy about a year ago. It sat for years after the original owner passed away. I replaced the brake lines, front and rear brake hydraulics, clutch slave and fuel lines. It drives great. There's just something nice about driving a low mile Westy. Have fun with it!