TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need input - My first Bay Window - '71 Page: 1, 2  Next
Dandelion Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:10 pm

This is my first Campmobile. I'll be taking her to a local VW mechanic for a "check-up" tomorrow. Want to be sure she's ready to get up and go! Any suggestions for what I should be looking for as potential issues? Thanks!! :D

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Dandelion

Matt Wilson Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:58 am

1971 was a one-year-only engine setup. It was the only bus to have the upright dual-port engine from the factory as well as the first bus to have front power assisted disc brakes.

The brake booster line (I think 14mm ID) runs to the manifold beneath the carburetor and to a one-way check valve. Then forward to the brake booster all the way up front. If this line is old and rotted, or if the hard line has some rust, you may have some engine issues. Be sure to inspect this system for integrity - once working, I can say that the power discs are pretty nice.

Also just do the usual air-cooled VW stuff - make sure she's running right and all the tins are in place. Check your lights and turn signals. Air up the tires and go for it!

ultralite Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:11 am

Do you know if the previous owner changed the fuel lines? That's one of the big ones especially if the history is not well known.

But other than that, CONGRATULATIONS! What a beauty!

Some other thinking that may be helpful:
1. Get the Bentley manual from Amazon.
2. This being your first post I'm guessing you may not be connected to the VW scene yet. So be sure to check out the local clubs; great resource for new owners. And, VW folks are the coolest.

1971! Great year and great first Bus to have. You did well....

ultralite Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:12 am

Ooh! And more pics please. Let's see that engine bay too!

secretsubmariner Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:16 am

ultralite wrote: be sure to check out the local clubs; great resource for new owners. And, VW folks are the coolest.

x2!

Really diggin that bus!

Dandelion Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:12 pm

Thanks for the input! Making a list of things to talk over with mechanic. Will post more pics today.

Jody '71 Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Beautiful looking '71 Camper. The exhaust is not correct for your Bus however. What you have on there is for a Beetle. You want the exhaust to exit off to either side at the edge of the rear bumper. Discuss this with your mechanic, if he tells you different and that it doesn't matter, find another mechanic.

Dandelion Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:27 am

So the exhaust and muffler was replaced with a Monza 4 tip. I haven't been to the mechanic yet, tomorrow. Do you think this kind of exhaust system is appropriate?
Thanks!

shiningstar76 Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:43 am

That is a really nice bus. The engine bay looks refreshingly stock, too.

aeromech Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:05 am

I'm interested to hear what the mechanic told you.

Jody '71 Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Dandelion wrote: So the exhaust and muffler was replaced with a Monza 4 tip. I haven't been to the mechanic yet, tomorrow. Do you think this kind of exhaust system is appropriate?
Thanks!

Well, yes for a Beetle or a Ghia. But not for Bus applications.

Colonel Mosby Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:20 pm

You are going to have a lot of fun working on this and enjoying the ride. After you check the fuel lines check your brakes! Nothing better than knowing you can stop reliably out on the road. Best wishes!

Tcash Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:46 am

Tcash wrote: Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pronunciation (Samba) English

Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
Volkswagen Type 2 Bus M-Plate Decoder
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

Dandelion Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:52 pm

So, the mechanic gave her a clean bill of health and a hall pass to head out camping, surfing, etc.! The exhaust system was replaced, but he felt is ok. I'm going to have another VW mechanic check it out, for peace of mind. Fuel lines, brake lines, timing all great.

I'm so glad to have such a supportive arena in which to glean information and ideas. Thank you, all, who have been willing to help a girl out with her new toy!

More to come... ; )

Lionhart94010 Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:41 am

Dandelion wrote: So, the mechanic gave her a clean bill of health and a hall pass to head out camping, surfing, etc.! The exhaust system was replaced, but he felt is ok. I'm going to have another VW mechanic check it out, for peace of mind. Fuel lines, brake lines, timing all great.

I'm so glad to have such a supportive arena in which to glean information and ideas. Thank you, all, who have been willing to help a girl out with her new toy!

More to come... ; )

Your fuel lines are scary, not clamps and it’s in the engine compartment just above the distributor (sparks and leaking fuel = bad idea)

Bug type of exhaust that exit in the center = possible carbon monoxide in the passenger compartment due to the stale air/aerodynamics of the bus…

All three of these things your mechanic missed = idiot as far as (Air Cooled VW)ACVW IMO, your odds of finding someone that actually knows how to fix your bus right and understands the peculiarities and nuances of your T2 is sort of like getting a wining lotto ticket ;0) that is why if you want it done right you have to do it yourself and learn how on thesamba with lots of reading….

Did they check the hard fuel line and rubber grommet that goes through the fire wall(cause of may bus fire’s that can’t be put out easily)

Also on a 71, your power brakes are working properly if after the engine is turned off for a couple of minutes and you pres your brake pedal, you still have power brakes assist…

fROMOHIO Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:52 am

She's a beaut, Clark! :shock:

Lionhart94010 Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:55 am

Also, you may want to check out Richard Atwell Web site, it will save you lots of time, money and frustration, he explains things very well for example I suggest you read his explanations of what type of tires and shocks your bus should have on it, it will make your bus much safer and comfortable…

Check out his Baywindow Guide to Upgrades, you will not regert reading it ;0)

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EssentialUpgrades.html

secretsubmariner Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:05 am

Dandelion,

I am super digging your interior..so clean :shock:

by the way..

why 'biscuit'? that's a nice name.

Jody '71 Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:09 pm

I think what Lionhart meant to say is, that your fuel lines have no clamps on them and that the plastic fuel filter should NOT be inside the engine compartment. Filter should be located after the tank outlet and before the front firewall tin, attached to the metal line that goes into the engine bay, the grommet in place so vibrations don't slowly cut the metal fuel line. Once the metal fuel line enters the engine compartment, it should be anchored on the left side of the fanshroud where that bolts to the cylinder tin covers with the suitable bracket.

So this mechanic said everything was ok (inclusive of your fuel lines shown pictured in your engine pic) and that the Monza exhaust was suitable for Bus???????

Brian Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:11 pm

The entire interior is too clean.