TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1982 diesel VW westy
Heidi25 Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:58 pm

Hello friends, I am taking my brothers 1982 diesel westy on the road for months on a road trip what should i check before i start my journey?
Thanks
best regards
-Heidi

Sir Sam Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Check that your AAA is paid up.

danfromsyr Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:35 pm

check the oil twice as often as the fuel tank.
and if your travels are in hot environments or hills bigger than a playground slide change the oil (w/ quality Diesel rated oil) sooner than 3,000mi.

remember in a VW Diesel 55 keeps it alive..

take it slow take it easy and enjoy the ride..

guzyk Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:40 pm

Get the AAA premier membership. 200 mile free tow when the van breaks down.

Dampcamper Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:10 pm

guzyk wrote: Get the AAA premier membership. 200 mile free tow when the van breaks down.
And that really is "when", not "if". So far I've only had to use the short towing, but it has only been since March :D .
Sure do like the Diesel though you have to be patient.

danfromsyr Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 pm

VW Diesels are the most bullet proof and reliable engines..
coupling them into a vanagon with a driver whose expectations exceed the 62mph MAX speed is what will kill them.
that MAX speed is the MAX speed for down hills too. and a Diesel does not compression brake like a gas engine (there's no throttle plate)

keep it at 55mph
keep good oil in it (15/40 diesel)
and it'll keep going.

Gnarlodious Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:33 pm

What that guy said ⬆︎

NoNameNeeded Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:12 am

Make sure it has a good spare tire.....nothing like a flat tire and a bad spare to ruin your day(I speak from experience). AAA is always a good idea no matter what vehicle you're taking on a road trip.

dobryan Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:46 am

If I was doing this trip I'd do a refresh of wearable items:
- replace belts
- oil change
- air filter change
- check CV joints (boots and for play)
- check wheel bearings
- make sure the tires are not too old, are correct load rating, and are not too worn, spare too...
- check trans fluid level and possibly replace fluid if it has been more than 50,000 miles since last done.
- check front suspension, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc for excessive wear (make sure it is safe).
- check condition of brakes and service as necessary

HAVE FUN! :D

srmpf Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 am

change the fuel filter and carry a spare.

joseph928 Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:53 am

I loved my 82 had it for years. Saw the world go by at 55. Did break a water pump belt, played hell trying to find one on the road. Only time I every got it to 75 , down hill in neutral. Would not go over 75 wind resistance. And when was the last time the timing belt was changed! :D

Heidi25 Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:47 am

Thank you all so much! I love this website you all are so kind! Thank you I am so appreciated. :) happy tuesday.
-Heidi

morymob Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:46 pm

If u cant do any of the maintenance, minor repairs, NOT totally familiar & vehicle not in top shape, sanity comes to mind.

MarkWard Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:16 am

You should determine from your brother how many miles have gone by since the timing belt was replaced. If it fails on you, the damage is just short of catastrophic. I believe the Timing Belt service interval is 60,000 miles, but could be wrong.

danfromsyr Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:34 am

or 8-10 years
shorter if oil/fuel has leaked onto the belt.
it's not always just miles that determines wear..
kinda like oil change intervals are supposed to be more frequent if the motor is used in a sever fashion.. (towing, mountain climbing or trail riding, sever dusty or hot conditions) then the 3,ooo oil change can be more frequent as needed.
I'm just adding that sometimes it's more than just a Xx number people get in their head.
rsxsr wrote: You should determine from your brother how many miles have gone by since the timing belt was replaced. If it fails on you, the damage is just short of catastrophic. I believe the Timing Belt service interval is 60,000 miles, but could be wrong.