TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Original tire brand? Page: 1, 2  Next
Stumpy WV Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:20 am

What was the original brand of tire used on the 67 beetle?

Eric&Barb Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:46 am

Take a little time to wander thru the "Damage Numbers" dealer manual here:

http://oacdp.org/

Stumpy WV Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:18 pm

I looked but didn't see anything.

Eric&Barb Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Did you try the section?:

Main Group 6: Road Wheels, Brakes

jzjames Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:01 pm

not sure maybe Continental.
Would they even be all the same at every dealership location?

Eric&Barb Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:22 pm

jzjames wrote: not sure maybe Continental.
Would they even be all the same at every dealership location?

Pretty sure the poster is asking about the factory installed tires. Of which at least eight different brands were being used in 1965.

Stumpy WV Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:39 pm

I was curious because my spare is an old bias ply, white wall. I didn't know if it was original or not.

eagle5127 Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:40 am

I would be interested to see a list or even partial listing of the 8 tire providers to VW in the 1960s.

Eric&Barb Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:25 am

eagle5127 wrote: I would be interested to see a list or even partial listing of the 8 tire providers to VW in the 1960s.

Then take a look at the "Damage Numbers" manual as posted above.

Lots of interesting info on which manufacture of parts for the VWs there, and sealing the VW from water getting in to boot.

eagle5127 Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:42 am

I went there prior to posting my comments, however was unsuccessful

dcheek Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:45 am

Most if not all the original cars I've seen had Continental 5.60 x 15 bias plies.
At least the export to U.S. models.

Dave

dcheek Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:49 am

dcheek wrote: Most if not all the original cars I've seen had Continental 5.60 x 15 bias plies.

Dave

Closest one size wise (width, tread width etc.) is the US Royals sold by Coker Tire. By the way you can order the same tire from Summit Racing, and they have free shipping. They are dropped shipped from Coker in Chattanooga, TN. It's funny, ordering from Coker directly they will not ship for free?! Same price from both places, $155.00/tire.

Dave

Eric&Barb Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:28 am

eagle5127 wrote: I went there prior to posting my comments, however was unsuccessful

Did you try the "Main Group 6" in that manual? Would just like to figure out how you are not finding the info.

janerick3 Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:35 am

Firestone-Phoenix (mid-'50s to early '60s), Continental or Dunlop B7 ('60s-'70s) and Michelin XZX (1979) were the most-common original-equipment tires found on U.S. market VWs during those periods. VW did not rely on just one supplier, so there are variations over this entire period.

Several other European brands were installed on VWs not destined for the U.S., as these were not approved for use on U.S. roads.

If a customer requested whitewall tires, the dealer might install either "premium" Continental whitewalls or the "economy" Autobahn brand , which was a VoA private label tire, made in USA. Many dealers also offered Cooper Sportsmasters as a replacement tire.

To answer the OP's question, our '67 came with Continental blackwalls.

Helfen Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:51 am

dcheek wrote: dcheek wrote: Most if not all the original cars I've seen had Continental 5.60 x 15 bias plies.

Dave

Closest one size wise (width, tread width etc.) is the US Royals sold by Coker Tire. By the way you can order the same tire from Summit Racing, and they have free shipping. They are dropped shipped from Coker in Chattanooga, TN. It's funny, ordering from Coker directly they will not ship for free?! Same price from both places, $155.00/tire.

Dave

I remember when I worked for the local VW dealer in my town that some people who bought a new car had us do the unthinkable task of putting white walls on a beetle, anyway it worked out pretty good for us tech's because we got their 99.9% new Continental take offs for 5 bucks a pop

EverettB Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:27 am

My old '67 that I bought off the original owner had the original Continental spare tire.

So Continental, at least for that vehicle.

my59 Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:03 am

janerick3 wrote:
If a customer requested whitewall tires, the dealer might install either "premium" Continental whitewalls or the "economy" Autobahn brand , which was a VoA private label tire, made in USA.

I've a pair of Autobahn snow tires, mounted, that the PO used every winter for many, many years.

AirJoker Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:55 am

My 63 standard has OG spare tire and it's Fulda.

Keith Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:08 pm

http://oacdp.org/damage/06-001.png

Offy 220 Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:02 pm

EverettB wrote: My old '67 that I bought off the original owner had the original Continental spare tire.

So Continental, at least for that vehicle.

My parents bought a 1965 Bahama Blue beetle in late '64 from Lakewood Motors here in California and came stock with Continental tires.